BUY OUT THE GAME

Is it possible to buy out the game from disruptor beam ? What is the price ?

Comments

• What would it take to keep it going or to buy the whole game ?
  • V.V. ✭✭✭
    sadly it's the license fee that's the problem. in maybe 2 or 3 years that license will be worth much less. But now it's quite expensive.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • You shouldn't be shutting down this game it is one of the few games out there that has so much that i like, medieval theme sort of, crafting and building, and most importantly doesnt force ptp. I've played many other games out there that have the them and crafting however they all force ptp i **tsk tsk** hate ptp unless it truly helpful like barters. I quit those other games cause of the ptp so please dont end this game.
  • Its emblematic of DB's communication skills that they don't seem to be able to explain themselves, but given that there's an oddly similar game starting early next year with an entirely different company, I *presume* that DB have lost the license. They license all the story related IP from HBO.
  • so you shut the game down and what do we do with all that we have accumulated? Is it just gone. I know that I have invested in this game. It is the only game that I play that I like the most. This is unfair to the real players here.
  • Its emblematic of DB's communication skills that they don't seem to be able to explain themselves, but given that there's an oddly similar game starting early next year with an entirely different company, I *presume* that DB have lost the license. They license all the story related IP from HBO.

The license was lost to Tencent via Yoozoo last year, July 2017. And you might recall that there was some comment / gossip on the forum about the game closing ( around October 2017 if I recall ) and it was refuted, but as you can see.....................
    So, now as all their games are licensed, and they are a licensor, when the term of these licenses come to end they either need to negotiate a new license or lose out to someone offering more, so despite what they may say in the future about the other games......................

And regarding your comment about DBs communication skills..well you are entirely correct.
    Its appalling, you are left feeling either like a little child where the 'grown-ups' are discussing whats best ..or like a subordinate that isn't in the big office.

In a situation like this, it is always just simple and wise to say whats going on, and god forbid, maybe get ideas or help, but when its done like this all you end up with is anger confusion and bitterness.

It would appear that the game engine does belong to DB, so I am at a loss as to why, when they knew what was happening that they didn't think to strip out the game from GOT storylines and all that includes and come up with a 'generic' (not licensed) Medieval game to replace or even a Gothic one.

Of course they could already be doing that, but because they haven't said anything, they have received a lot of flak and ill will.
    Its such a shame as I really enjoy this style of game.
  • Darren C BirdDarren C Bird ✭✭✭
    edited October 9
    where is the head of player experience??... ceo mr radoff..???. all those other new people sitting in there head office... silence as per usual from DB ... we get the mushroom treatment.. kept in the dark fed on s**t...ignorance is not bliss DB.. about time you owned up as a company and except your faults!!
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    where is the head of player experience??... ceo mr radoff..???. all those other new people sitting in there head office... silence as per usual from DB ... we get the mushroom treatment.. kept in the dark fed on s**t...ignorance is not bliss DB.. about time you owned up as a company and except your faults!!

Very few companies are lead by people moral enough to boot let greed guide them, they will admit when they screw up. The rest play cover up and when the come is blow feigns innocents and sincerity. Take even apple for years it slowed down phones with less that optimal batteries, you go to a genius bar because your phone is slushy and your told its just too old and to get a new one, when most times all you needed was a new battery....but a new battery is cheap (you could even get a no brand one for your iphone for less than $5 and even install it yourself if you wanted to) a new phone now that's where the money is, that's what apple wants you to get from them......people fall for that we were just looking our for our customers line, but really it was an intentional choice meant to milk people into buying a new device when they could have actually happily kept using their old ones.
  • I'm as upset as the next guy, but there is an odd amount of entitlement going on with this. They don't have to keep the game running. They didn't make it for you. They made it for money.
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    If Db came out and said the game was costing them rather than making them money evrtyone would understand that and just like others are doing now suggest options that would either make it profitable or alleviate db of the financial cost. Unlike you I haven't felt seen much entitlement...I have however seen players request to be respected and treated like the loyal supporters of the game they have been and or be given what they are owed as a result of db's lies (namely their money)......and yes some have been demanding rather than requesting but so is their right in such an issue.

P.S Radoff (however his name is spelt) totally insinuated in his interview he was making a game for the people (namely a game filled with rich lore for players enjoyment....and yes its paraphrased)....but a person trying to drum up good pr by acting like a saint when they are really just in it for the money is nothing new. The issues is the underhandedness they as a company have employed and as per usual their greatly impaired communication skills or complete lack of honest communication.

• NN, you are truly living on a different planet to most of the rest of us. Unless a company is a charity, the number 1 focus is making money, every person with half a brain knows that. So when someone says they are making a game for people to enjoy and full of rich lore, that's just what they mean! They are making a game for people to enjoy and full of rich lore TO MAKE MONEY.

When a local restaurant has to close down because of one reason or another, do you see them making an announcement to all of their customers an inviting suggestions from them (most of which don't have the first clue how things like this work) for alternative suggestions? Does the restaurant owner really need an IT guy to suggest raising the price 10% or a bus driver to suggest relocating the restaurant for cheaper rent?

Unless you own shares in DB, you have no say in how that business is run and what they choose to do with their assets. By all means, people can ask the questions about buying out the game, but it's DB's choice to do whatever they want with it.

So, yes, I completely agree with Patterson that people are coming out with a lot of entitlement about this game ending. It might be a big part of some people's lives, but this is business for DB.

When your favourite restaurant closes down, you might be a little upset for a while that you can't eat there any more, but soon you'll find another favourite restaurant. And you can even take your friends...
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    edited October 10
    Lmao...there's a different between making money and being greedy and wait did I not point out that all the sweet things a compnay might say is just cover for the fact they are in it for the money?? And a freaking comparison between a restaurant and a game company..really dude???? try harder, you go to a restaurant, pay for the food, eat and leave that simple...Idk who with "half a brain" would try to make such a comparison as you just did....and you sure as hell don't see me telling db what to do with their assest, I clearly pointed out others were requesting, suggesting, or demanding you've been around so you know what is being demanded by some (refunds) and what is being suggested (selling the game, and no one is saying they have to)...........and db obviously don't know how to run a "restaurant" since they are/had to close down a branch, so I guess they should take advice from the bus driver.

P.S yeah now I recall you have a comprehension issue, thus way I had/have decided to refrain from engaging in discussions with you.....learn to actually add two and two together then we can talk, better yet learn how to actually read and comprehend what is written because currently all you do is go around with some kind of I'm a mister know it all chip on your shoulder, eager and jumpy to sprut whatever nonsensical dribble you want to sprut without actually reading and comprehending what others have written....seriously is that on purpose or do you lack the ability..........
  • so you shut the game down and what do we do with all that we have accumulated? Is it just gone. I know that I have invested in this game. It is the only game that I play that I like the most. This is unfair to the real players here.

Life is never fair, unfortunate but true. When you get older you will experience worse tragedies and injustices in real life.

Also, you paid voluntarily for a service. You invested nothing except your time and emotions. That's all.

At least DB has the courtesy to notify us and give a 3-month grace period. I've lived long enough to witness the death of many online games. Other games exist purely on hardcore P2W mechanics combined with copious amount of ad spamming, and once the player population has dwindled beyond a certain threshold the servers get merged. Rinse and repeat.

I'm a new player (registered late Sep 2018), hadn't spent a dime. I'm still on Chapter 1, and I doubt I can finish the storyline quests before the game is taken offline. I should be more annoyed than the veteran paying players.
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    Why because you don't get to read through a storyline you can read on the wiki? A storyline that makes no difference to the rest of the gameplay?

P.S just for the record you can totally finish the storyline quest in 3 months (and I mean all of them not just volume 1)....finishing it once for every house..well that's a different story.
  • Hey - I think the best solution for me would be give me a whack of credits in the other two games.... enough to a least establish a high end character?????

The license was lost to Tencent via Yoozoo last year, July 2017. And you might recall that there was some comment / gossip on the forum about the game closing ( around October 2017 if I recall ) and it was refuted, but as you can see.....................

Too bad we got reassured so easily that the game wouldn't get terminated.
    Add me as a friend.

My player ID: 159443
  • From Radoff yesterday on The Gathering FB page:

"Hi everyone. For those that don’t know, I’m the Founder & CEO of Disruptor Beam. First, a bit about me: I’ve made games my whole life, and the first game I ever made was when I was 8. When I was 19, I met my future wife in a text-based game and we decided to start a game company together. The game we made, Legends of Future Past, shut down 18 years ago—but the community STILL talks to each other and many are my friends on Facebook. My point is that I understand how powerful and social these experiences are, because I’ve lived it myself and have handcrafted this sort of game for years. My wife and I built much of GoTA by hand, and it is really heartbreaking to see it come to a close.

Here’s what I’m currently looking at: Along with a number of players who have expressed interest in finding a solution with me, I’m currently exploring ways we might be able to continue GoTA. The current emphasis is on allowing the game to continue but without Game of Thrones content; alternatives that involve continuation under the license, unfortunately, are not likely at all. However, I’ve been told by a number of players that continuing the game without the licensed content would be of interest, so we are looking into it earnestly and optimistically.

I do consider it to be a long shot. This is a considerable amount of work to pull off, and there are significant operating costs to the game—so determining if it could be financially viable is part of what we are trying to figure out. If it is, then we will do it. We hope to have more answers soon, so I ask for some patience while we sort things out. This isn’t simple at all, and frankly we hadn’t even considered the idea that there’d be much interest in a GoT-less GoTA and so we are starting the analysis from scratch.

If for some reason we can’t work it out, then at a minimum I commit to everyone that we will memorialize GoTA—and the experiences you’ve had—in a cool and dignified way. We will exhaust every option first."