Memories of GotA

Use this thread to share memories, screenshots, anecdotes about your Game of Thrones Ascent adventures :)

Posts that do not respect the intent of this thread will be deleted.

Comments

• Thanks Nod!
    Appreciate all you did for the game while you were here!
  • mouldydragoonmouldydragoon ✭✭
    edited October 18
    It was interesting and thanks for all your hard work in our game, Nod. Never a dull moment. Take care. :)
  • Thanks Nod, fore everything. I now have RL friends around the world. Last year i visited one in Portugal. We has a great time. I miss you and will miss the game.
    An old Goat, Robin Black Hood.
    p.s. I have some of those pics of you in NYC with The Black Goat and others :-)
  • One of my favorite memories was the World Event. That was one of the best times here ever!

I also remember one time I contacted a Mega of old days... A thousand eyes and one. I told them Deep Lake members were trying to get some achievements by having level 20 camps in all regions. I said they were the only alliance I saw also in every region and would they please help us with barters and bribes. ( Back then bribes were beneficial) and they did. They were kind enough to help a little tiny alliance. I will never forget that. Mad respects and hats off to you where ever you are <3
  • edited October 20
    The best phase was the one time the Megas stayed out of the top ten in a single region! Arranged by William Wilkns. It was the most fun ever!! When we got the Gilded Dawn title at the Goodbye party to our leader and friend. Even the other alliances in the region were thrilled to not have to compete against the megas for once. Straight up party phase.
  • It's been a while, and my voice is one which matters not in the scheme of things. But, I am nostalgic. It seems impossible that this was my first experience with MMOs and that I was determined to stay away from the social side of the game. You guys are scary...

But I was pulled into a group and named, and for a while it seemed like everything I touched would turn to dust because I seemed to have an uncanny talent for walking into every frailty in an alliance. I watched in horror as they blew up. And then I started Stonedancers and met Karl, whom no one had ever heard of and off we went on adventures. Usually apart, finally together.

At the end of the day, GoTA gave me something I needed. Someplace to go, something to do, someone to be.

My mistakes are my own. My victories aren't. They are the result of a very talented set of friends who allowed me the greatest gift of all. They encouraged me to be myself. So, to Xaene, Watty, and Jabroni who created Banshee, to Nenya who was ever my co-leader, to the Black Goat and ALL the Goats, to Dragonglass Citadel, to ravens that created friends, and enemies. To all those who ran with me, and to those who ran against me. To the Minstrels. To the Stonedancers. To my brother and sister. To you all. I raise my glass.

You can find me in some icy stream, washing the armor of those who will die, so they can go to the seven clean.
  • It was late Sep 2018. I was browsing around when I saw an advertisement for a Game of Thrones browser game. My curiosity was piqued so I registered and started playing. I do not have Facebook, I registered for an account on DB's official website.

All in all, it was a pay to win (or pay to not wait) game. I was away on a brief vacation and tried to play the game on my phone. It was a pain because the game wasn't optimised for mobile play, and internet access was spotty. All I did was collect silver whenever possible before the counting house overflowed, and squeezed in a few building upgrades.

On the last day of my vacation, I saw the in-game announcement that the game would be kaput early next year. There was plenty of weeping and gnashing of teeth on this forum, especially from the veterans who had poured plenty of cash and emotions into this game over the years.

The music and sound effects in this game are good, but a bit repetitive at times. I usually muted them when I play.

The artwork is fantastic: of places, NPCs, character portraits, cutscenes, items etc. If/when this game goes kaput, the ARTWORK must be preserved and be given free to fans as a souvenir.

It's a shame there's no portrait pictures of the characters in the tv show e.g. a hand drawn picture of Peter Dinklage to represent Tyrion. I guess HBO or some other legal entity representing those actors jealously guard their image rights.
  • This game and more so it's player community helped me tremendously during points of being sick over the past five years. I think Bilbo said it better than I ever could. "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." <3
  • It appears there's still a chance that GoTA could survive:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/gota/discussion/11899/survey-posted-by-jon-radoff

Please participate in the survey.

CEO of DB posted it 2 days ago on FB and allowed us to share it.
    Add me as a friend.

My player ID: 159443
  • One of my favorite memories was the World Event. That was one of the best times here ever!

I also remember one time I contacted a Mega of old days... A thousand eyes and one. I told them Deep Lake members were trying to get some achievements by having level 20 camps in all regions. I said they were the only alliance I saw also in every region and would they please help us with barters and bribes. ( Back then bribes were beneficial) and they did. They were kind enough to help a little tiny alliance. I will never forget that. Mad respects and hats off to you where ever you are <3

1K1 were truly an awesome Mega. I well recall the struggle for a small alliance to get enough mats and spoils to upgrade (all those militia/traders/eavesdroppers!) and having generous members join to drop mats or share spoils afterwards so we could run the AC's
  • I was introduced to the GoT in 2014.

2014 was a particular testing year for me, having been diagnosed with oral cancer which returned 3 times in 10 months. GoT was one of the things that gave me the the desire to get up and want to do something during those atrocious days of pain, chemo and aggressive nuclear radio therapy. Those who know cancer will know that sometimes just the idea of opening your eyes or even breathing becomes a mountainous chore.

GoT gave me the means find the WILL and DESIRE to want to survive, thank you!
    I never got to even hatch a dragon though _

Like you i joint GoTA when i was waiting for an organ transplant and then happily recovering, i owe a lot of thanks to the DB team for helping keep me sane in the wee quiet hours during my worst days. simply thanks for your great game.