Miscellaneous Star Trek Links: 2017-12-04

It's been awhile since the last installment of my ongoing series, so I wanted to get one more collection of Trek-related articles posted before the year came to a close. Enjoy!


We start off with a trailer for a new movie starring Dakota Fanning as an autistic young woman who has written a Star Trek script, with which she hopes to win a writing competition. The film also stars Star Trek: Into Darkness' Alice Eve as her big sister.

https://www.inverse.com/article/39023-star-trek-fans-please-stand-by-movie-trailer

vh4bodzqturn.jpg


ScreenRant shares some behind-the-scenes facts from TOS, some of which you may not have heard before:

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-the-original-series-dark-behind-the-scenes-secrets-facts/

tdq7kczfynht.jpg


Another entry from ScreenRant: 15 Things That Make No Sense About The Klingons:

https://screenrant.com/klingons-biggest-mistakes-plot-holes-make-no-sense-star-trek/

zfi2d3a4km0u.jpg


Adam Nimoy (Leonard's son) has stepped down as director of the DS9 documentary, What We Left Behind:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-deep-space-nine-documentary-is-delayed-as-adam-nimo-1820750164

6s4ocu1hwbte.jpg


And finally, ever wanted a Borg-inspired gaming PC? Of course you have. Check this out:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-is-the-desktop-pc-the-borg-would-use-probably-1820576642

qiaur5tuzj0u.jpg


Until next time, LLAP... and Happy Holidays!

zdr318dq2vzk.jpg


Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"

Comments

  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭
    Bonus article! (Just posted within the last few hours.)


    Quentin Tarantino Might Direct a Star Trek Movie:

    https://io9.gizmodo.com/quentin-tarantino-might-direct-a-star-trek-movie-1820997448

    b2kab79bat91.jpg


    Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Bonus article! (Just posted within the last few hours.)


    Quentin Tarantino Might Direct a Star Trek Movie:


    That. Is. Amazing. I so hope this happens.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭
    It'd be weird to have a trek movie with that much cursing and violence. Not sure he'd be able to make something that the producers would allow.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭
    edited December 6
    Magisse wrote: »
    It'd be weird to have a trek movie with that much cursing and violence. Not sure he'd be able to make something that the producers would allow.

    Are you kidding? The studios are practically clamoring for less Trekky Trek. Which is why I don't bother anymore.

    https://screenrant.com/star-trek-3-beyond-script-orci-simon-pegg/

  • ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Ever since the end of Enterprise, all of the "Trek" that has come out hasn't resembled Star Trek in any meaningful way. A Tarantino Trek would be no more out of line than Abrams Trek.
  • Nicholas Myers barely knew anything about Star Trek and he made Wrath of Khan, which is regarded as the best Trek movie.

    If he can do it right, a Tarantino Trek could be good. J.J Trek was bad because J.J didn't know how to make a Star Trek movie.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭
    Rats, I had one more link I was planning on sharing... didn't really mean to do a second bonus link, but then I hate to save it for the next installment, since I might forget about it (again).


    Some wonderful retro posters of Discovery episodes, designed by J.J. Lendl:

    http://xfilesposterproject.tumblr.com/post/167420525200/star-trek-discovery-midseason-finale-tonight

    tvy9xukzhtjg.jpg

    And a few more at this link.


    Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭
    edited December 8
    Dante123 wrote: »
    Nicholas Myers barely knew anything about Star Trek and he made Wrath of Khan, which is regarded as the best Trek movie.

    If he can do it right, a Tarantino Trek could be good. J.J Trek was bad because J.J didn't know how to make a Star Trek movie.

    JJ Trek was bad because he didn't like Trek to begin with.

    http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/14/entertainment/la-et-st-jj-abrams-star-wars-versus-star-trek-jon-stewart-20130514

    "It always felt too philosophical for me"

    Myers simply had no knowledge of Trek and went into the Episode library and built on it.
    And the Studios let the Trek be Trek.

    Read the article I linked above on what happened to Peggs script being rejected by the studios. Too "Trekky". So bring in Tarantino, and have the studio direct him to do more of his normal stuff and stay away from being too Star Trek and you'll get more of the same flavor you got with JJ only more blood and cursing.

    Ok I take it back it won't be JJ Trek. It'll be JJ meets Discovery. Mmmm yummy insert #### here enemies on dinner table.

    Edit that didn't censor right so I self ####ed.
  • Pallidyne wrote: »
    Dante123 wrote: »
    Nicholas Myers barely knew anything about Star Trek and he made Wrath of Khan, which is regarded as the best Trek movie.

    If he can do it right, a Tarantino Trek could be good. J.J Trek was bad because J.J didn't know how to make a Star Trek movie.

    JJ Trek was bad because he didn't like Trek to begin with.

    http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/14/entertainment/la-et-st-jj-abrams-star-wars-versus-star-trek-jon-stewart-20130514

    "It always felt too philosophical for me"

    That is exactly the point why I hate JJVerse and don't consider it as Star Trek. He turned it into a Star Wars rip-off, a franchise he is a huge fan of, which was commercially successfull (as Star Wars always attracted more people) but left everything behind what Star Trek was until this point.
  • I just had a great idea. I'd love the Tarantino movie to play in the classic mirror universe where characters of all shows could easily appear to have a great revival for fans of all shows. I could easily play a few years in the future to avoid age problems and due to it's setting in the mirror universe it could be very dark and brutal without breaking the canon.
  • That could be a really good movie.

    I was thinking it would go the other way: that Tarintino was willing to try a movie without the swears and violence. Kinda like how, on the Beatles' Let It Be, Phil Spector managed to produce an album that didn't sound like the Wall Of Sound.
    That sounds like a movie I want to see.

    But then reality hits me: I believe that the division of rights to the Star Trek franchise means we will never see another movie in the "prime" universe, because the only people with the rights to make movies only have the Kelvin universe rights, and the people with the rights to the Prime universe specifically aren't allowed to make movies.

    I really hope I'm wrong.
Sign In or Register to comment.