[TOOL] Crew management desktop tool and Google Sheets add-on

TekmanROTekmanRO ✭✭
edited September 12 in Ready Room
Hi,

Wanted to post a link to an open source tool for managing your crew, items and ships (sort, filter, export), with a few nice extras like recommendations for voyage, gauntlet, missions and equipment https://iampicard.com/ .

Contributions are always welcome (if you're a dev the front-end / UI needs a lot of work; if you're statistically inclined the recommendation algorithms can always use some tweaking; otherwise, testing, bug reports, feedback all appreciated).

I've also written a Google Sheets add-on to help load your crew / ships / items, so you no longer need to manually fill in the have / not have columns. It is also open source, like the desktop tool.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Comments

• I've been using this tool for quite a while and have written a voyage crew recommendation algorithm for it based on my earlier work on estimating voyage time: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/175/tool-voyage-estimator-help-us-gather-data/p1

Thanks a bunch for making this tool! I find it indispensable - especially for managing my item inventory.
  • Mods, could we please sticky this thread?
  • Mods, could we please sticky this thread?

+1 This would be a super thread to be sticked, so helpful for players! Thanks for the work you guys are doing.
    ~· Join the Subspace Eddies! Starbase 119 ·~
    Rise, like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number
    Shake your chains to Earth, like dew, which in sleep had fallen on you
    Ye are many; they are few!
  • *ST* Donatra*ST* Donatra ✭✭✭✭
    Meowsome to see the own stats and how many replications remaining for the day! Big help!
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • I have used these for a while as well, and they work great. Very grateful, thank you for putting the time in to make them!
  • Two questions:

(1) How is giving my log-in credentials for STT to a 3rd party, who can do whatever they want with them, not a huge security risk?

And (2): now that I have (because this sounded too good to be true), how come a 3rd party is somehow a billion times better at giving players useful ways to sort and analyze their crew than the people who make the game?

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two questions:

(1) How is giving my log-in credentials for STT to a 3rd party, who can do whatever they want with them, not a huge security risk?

And (2): now that I have (because this sounded too good to be true), how come a 3rd party is somehow a billion times better at giving players useful ways to sort and analyze their crew than the people who make the game?

Okay, so — I admit to being leery/cautious/wary/unsure about using this, myself. Something that does everything that it says it does would indeed be a marvelous tool, but... the primary fact of me not being familiar with the person who wrote it, I have doubts. It being open-source perhaps allays some of those concerns, but then I don't know anything about coding, so even with that, I'm taking someone's word that it's harmless. As you say, it does sound too good to be true, and it is mightily tempting to give it a try, but as you also say, there's the issue of giving one's login credentials to a 3rd party — which I am loath to do, not knowing for certain that they will be safe. Of course, many will think to reply, then don't download and install it — problem solved. But I also admit it does make me insanely curious, and I wish there was a way to mitigate my concerns. :|

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Ditto to everything Data just said!
    “Holodeck 2 tomorrow, 1600 hours. Just you, me and a tuning fork”
  • If you aren't coders perhaps you have fleet-mates, or friends that are? Ask them to take a look over the source code of the tool, and build it themselves (all the needed software is free).

It's also written in the most accessible language possible (JavaScript) so maybe you want to get into coding, and this is a good start.

I have no other good answers for you except that I totally get it, I'd also go through a process before trusting a 3rd party tool (I have the advantage of being more technically-savvy so I'd go through the source code or analyze its network traffic, but if I wasn't I'd had to rely on the community's review).
  • izausomeizausome ✭✭✭
    I can say i've read through just about every line of his code, and it is completely legit.

Keep up the good work @TekmanRO !
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    izausome wrote: »
    I can say i've read through just about every line of his code, and it is completely legit.

Keep up the good work @TekmanRO !

That indeed makes me feel a lot better about it, as I've used your app and your site quite a lot.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Hi ... just installed the Google Sheets add-on but can't login to STT - as the username I tried my email address as well as DBID, no joy - getting "An error occured. Please check you entered your username and password correctly and try again." What I'm entering is definitely correct, no typos etc and granted the permissions the add-on asked for.

Appreciate any thoughts, guidance etc!
    Starfleet Operations have confirmed that, effective immediately, all field rations will consist of chocolate.
  • Hi ... just installed the Google Sheets add-on but can't login to STT - as the username I tried my email address as well as DBID, no joy - getting "An error occured. Please check you entered your username and password correctly and try again." What I'm entering is definitely correct, no typos etc and granted the permissions the add-on asked for.

If you've only ever used Facebook or Apple gameroom for logging in, it's possible you didn't create an actual account with DB. See if any of these instructions help. The username is an email address, not your DBID.
  • TekmanRO wrote: »
    Hi ... just installed the Google Sheets add-on but can't login to STT - as the username I tried my email address as well as DBID, no joy - getting "An error occured. Please check you entered your username and password correctly and try again." What I'm entering is definitely correct, no typos etc and granted the permissions the add-on asked for.

If you've only ever used Facebook or Apple gameroom for logging in, it's possible you didn't create an actual account with DB. See if any of <link removed> help. The username is an email address, not your DBID.

It's a DB account - never used Facebook or Apple gameroom to log in i.e. I used the email address and password I use to sign into DB.
    Starfleet Operations have confirmed that, effective immediately, all field rations will consist of chocolate.
  • It's a DB account - never used Facebook or Apple gameroom to log in i.e. I used the email address and password I use to sign into DB.

Not sure what's going on; does the login work here? http://thorium.disruptorbeam.com/
    Can you try the desktop app?

• TekmanRO wrote: »
    Not sure what's going on; does the login work here? <link removed>

Yep - login there no problems. Mac here, so will get to a Windows machine soon-ish and try it out, I'll report back. BTW - thanks for the very quick responses, much appreciated.
  • BBBytesBBBytes ✭✭
    When it gets to Loading Mission & Quests, it keeps giving me the following error. I login via Facebook and STT is working fine on my phone and on Steam and I can get into Facebook. I've tried downloading a fresh copy but that hasn't worked either. Any ideas?
    d0qj42x5spdp.png
  • BBBytes wrote: »
    When it gets to Loading Mission & Quests, it keeps giving me the following error. I login via Facebook and STT is working fine on my phone and on Steam and I can get into Facebook. I've tried downloading a fresh copy but that hasn't worked either. Any ideas?

I just published new version v0.6.6 to fix this issue. It was related to updating the client version from 4.0.0 to 4.0.2.
  • BBBytesBBBytes ✭✭
    TekmanRO wrote: »
    BBBytes wrote: »

I just published new version v0.6.6 to fix this issue. It was related to updating the client version from 4.0.0 to 4.0.2.

Thanks, I'll download it now
  • This tool is going to make it child's play to create fully automated playing tools.
    I hope this gets shutdown as soon as possible.
  • Toby LeroneToby Lerone ✭✭
    edited May 1
    Not sure what's going on; does the login work here? <link removed>

Yep - login there no problems. Mac here, so will get to a Windows machine soon-ish and try it out, I'll report back. BTW - thanks for the very quick responses, much appreciated.

Resolved the issue. My password contained symbols, after changing my password to alphanumeric only, logged in fine. If you would like some detail re which specific characters, let me know.

Thanks for creating this, less than a minute after loading I saw duplicates I didn't realise I had and cleared up crew slots! Excellent!
    This tool is going to make it child's play to create fully automated playing tools.

This is just a database tool to easify player's overview on their crew. This is NOT a cheat tool!
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • TekmanROTekmanRO ✭✭
    edited May 1
    This tool is going to make it child's play to create fully automated playing tools.

This is just a database tool to easify player's overview on their crew. This is NOT a cheat tool!

FWIW, I have no intention of ever adding a feature that violates the ToS (such as automating user actions), nor will I approve a PR to my git repo that does so. I've also clarified with DB support that the tool doesn't violate the ToS in any way (see their reply here).
  • edited May 1

FWIW, I have no intention of ever adding a feature that violates the ToS (such as automating user actions), nor will I approve a PR to my git repo that does so. I've also clarified with DB support that the tool doesn't violate the ToS in any way.

The code already provides playing gauntlet without the actual game doesn't it? So it only needs some logic to automate it. So it's not just a database tool.

While it might not be your intent to ever do so, you are practically handing over the tools to do so.
    It just lets you choose the ideal crew for a gauntlet. Same with voyages.
  • P-RexP-Rex ✭✭
    I disagree with guest also, i find this more helpful, and easier to make sense of than some other crew lists. Also, i haven't seen anything automated, it suggests crew, i follow or ignore the advice. This weekend it wanted me to use surak on voyage, i needed him in shuttles. So he went in shuttles.
    If this was automated i wouldn't be using it.
    I only came to check about the log in issue (as above) i got last yesterday. And that is solved, so i am going to carry on using this. IF you don't like it then no one is forcing you to use it anyway, so it's all good.
    And just while i am here, Thank you tekman for the effort you put into making this work, and for the effort of keeping it working, and the voyage estimates, are for me coming up pretty accurate.
    That is my two peneths worth on the situation, for whatever that counts for.
  • This tool is wonderful, it takes so much of the tedium out of selecting crew for voyages and the gauntlet, which was starting to feel like a real chore - thanks a billion @TekmanRO!
  • CatpainCatpain ✭✭
    I noticed the latest version doesn't have an option to toggle frozen crew for voyages. Are they now included by default?
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I have no intention of ever adding a feature that violates the ToS (such as automating user actions)

But it allows game actions (recalling voyage, resolving dilemmas) outside of the game client? I'll admit to not having studied it, but that sounds like something that would violate the ToS.
  • Dralix wrote: »
    FWIW, I have no intention of ever adding a feature that violates the ToS (such as automating user actions)

But it allows game actions (recalling voyage, resolving dilemmas) outside of the game client? I'll admit to not having studied it, but that sounds like something that would violate the ToS.

I did some checking because i like to back up my claims, it requires a total of 8 characters to turn the voyage monitor into a voyage bot.