High Memory Usage as of Build 533

As of the latest build, on June 27th, the game has been using an unusually high amount of memory, at least on Chrome. The new amount seems to be roughly twice as much as the normal amount for running this game.

I have confirmed this with fellow alliance members who are experiencing the same problem.

As there is no scheduled build next week, this will be unfortunate if the issue continues during the upcoming AvA phase, as it would be unplayable from my standpoint. The game already eats up a lot of memory, but doubling the amount puts my 4-GB RAM comp at nearly max capacity, and it's not worth running if I have to worry about my comp crashing just to play this game.

At this point my best guess is that something went really wrong when the latest build was uploaded. Since the changes themselves (for the crafting bonuses) are nothing new or untested, I have to suspect the issue is more related to HOW the game was updated rather than the content of the update.

Has anyone noticed this issue on other browsers/platforms?

Comments

• edited July 1
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TiamatTiamat ✭✭
    I noted that too and moved to Firefox, the game is runnig more smoothly. Hope they fix that.
  • ShanShan admin
    I will let the team know.
    Did Chrome update recently as well maybe?
  • GuderianGuderian ✭✭
    edited July 2
    Shan wrote: »
    I will let the team know.
    Did Chrome update recently as well maybe?
    I don't think Chrome has had any updates since that build. Or at least none that I know of. I performed no manual updates and I usually notice when it does automatic ones because I'm always watching my Task Manager, especially when I first open up the browser.
  • yitaminyitamin ✭✭
    I have noticed a marked increase in the memory use of chrome itself on sites with many iframes and subdomains. I'm sure this is in part due to site separation security work they are doing. If it helps, here are the latest chrome desktop builds with respect to the game build.

June 27th - chrome beta 68.0.3440.42
    June 27th - game build
    June 26th - chrome dev 69.0.3472.3
    June 25th - chrome stable 67.0.3396.99
  • Any update on this?
    Add me as a friend.

My player ID: 159443
  • ShanShan admin
    Signs point to this not being related to the patch itself, but more about how Chrome is handling the game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GuderianGuderian ✭✭
    edited July 15
    Shan wrote: »
    Signs point to this not being related to the patch itself, but more about how Chrome is handling the game.

Thanks for the update, Shan. After further observation since my original post, I noticed it was somewhat inconsistent. Some loads of the game resulted in normal memory usage while many loads resulted in the double amount. In more recent days I have not really seen the memory issue, though I'm still observing to see if it's 100% fixed or just improved by a certain degree (leaning toward the latter).

If it is indeed Chrome's fault and not related to that build, it's a strange coincidence that they started the same day. Although at this point even if the issue ends up not occurring anymore, there's also been another build a few days ago, which makes it tough for an outsider to completely rule out the game as the cause (plus subsequent fix). Personally I never saw the issue on any other site and only while playing GoTA.

Anyway, I'll keep observing, and if you find out any other information please post it! Thanks.

*Edit:*
    I spoke too soon. I just experienced the same double memory issue on the past few attempts to load the game, about 8 hours after posting the above. Guess it's still there and ongoing, though still inconsistent.
  • yitaminyitamin ✭✭
    edited July 14
    Most of this will be common knowledge to anyone that's played the game a year or more, but just in case, here are some issues and simple ways to work around them. There are a number of uncommon or even rare issues that can pop up that cause a temporary issue in the game that aren't related to recent builds or even a given browser -- some of these have been around for years. The ones I know about are:
    • the "maester is still instructing your sworn swords" popup is very often a sign of the Adventure Party getting stuck -- if you see 409 Conflict errors in your error console, the only remedy is a refresh/reload of the game
    • the "warehouses in Westeros are deep" popup is very often a sign of the shop getting stuck (this can even happen when removing a seal) -- if you see 409 Conflict errors in your error console, the only remedy is a refresh/reload of the game
    • at times you can't seem to advance between locations in a tale as the buttons seem dead -- all you need to do is fully close out of the tales interface then go back in, it should be right where you left it
    • at times a sword's button's seem dead when trying to send it on an adventure or a quest -- all you should need to do is fully close out the keep and/or quest interface, then go back in. If that still doesn't work, try opening the character window (C) or collecting taxes, that should put things back to normal
    • at times some AvA information seems incorrect, or a button seems dead -- fully closing out of the AvA interface then going back in should solve this

In general though, if sword timers look funny, or their items don't seem correct, a "soft sync" corrects most of those issues -- open the character window (press C) or collect from the counting house, that should fix most of them. A full refresh/reload will also do it, but sometimes it is just faster and more convenient to stay in the current game instance than loading a new one and risking some kind of failure on the initial game load. Building upgrades and crafts don't seem to respond to a soft sync, but finishing any craft or starting a new one should sync the other buildings, or of course a full refresh/reload will do the same.
  • yitaminyitamin ✭✭
    Oh, one additional one that I've seen a few times that just occurred to me. At times there will be a "click shroud" covering the game, a dark, semi-translucent panel, to prevent you from clicking faster than the game can properly respond. Once in a very rare while, this click shroud doesn't go away, so you are left with nowhere to click. You can refresh/reload to make it go away, but quite often just pressing C to pull up the character window will solve this without the need to reload the game. Note that you may need to click onto the game first before pressing C, to make sure the browser focus is on that part of the tab.
  • yitaminyitamin ✭✭
    Perhaps this will help to explain why chrome got RAM hungry:

"Chrome gobbles much more RAM due to Google's 'Site Isolation' protection for Spectre CPU flaws -- But it's a worthwhile trade-off."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3289749/browsers/chrome-more-ram-google-site-isolation-spectre-cpu-flaws.html
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    yitamin wrote: »
    Oh, one additional one that I've seen a few times that just occurred to me. At times there will be a "click shroud" covering the game, a dark, semi-translucent panel, to prevent you from clicking faster than the game can properly respond. Once in a very rare while, this click shroud doesn't go away, so you are left with nowhere to click. You can refresh/reload to make it go away, but quite often just pressing C to pull up the character window will solve this without the need to reload the game. Note that you may need to click onto the game first before pressing C, to make sure the browser focus is on that part of the tab.
    pressing escape also works, im pretty sure thats the idk what to call it frame that comes up with certain pop ups, such as when you level up...simply put sometimes it seems the game bugged at the point when the pop up should show or clear and leaves behind or only shows the "click shroud".