Airlocking Time!

Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭
edited September 6 in Ready Room
The time has come to send some more of my 1/4 Super Rare crew to live on that farm in upstate Ceti Alpha VI. They're all mostly unleveled and 1-star. Suggestions?

Command Hologram
Assimilated Tuvok
Doc Crusher
Trader Odo
Nexus Kirk
Drafted McCoy

New Arrivals:
Undercover O'Brien
Detective Dixon Hill
Temporal Agent Seven (Premium Behold)
Mirror LaForge (Merit)
Fesek (Voyage)
Cyrus Redblock (Voyage)

Airlocked:
Cadet Wesley Crusher
Silik
Commander Dolim
Anastasia Komanov
Maquis Eddington
Captain Kurn
First Goran'Agar
Dr. Toby Russell

Mirror Ezri Teegan
Mirror Sisko
Lieutenant Arex Na Eth
Kilana
Klingon Quark (Overdraft)
Pel (Voyage)
Ba'ku Worf
Author Doctor (Voyage)
Lon Suder (Premium Behold)

I’m right at capacity at the moment, but another week another event, so I need to think about who else to sacrifice. Who is next?

Additional thoughts?
Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
«13

Comments

  • BigstupidgrinBigstupidgrin ✭✭✭
    Eliminating 2-skill crew is a good start, unless they have one exceptional base skill or two exceptional proficiencies. For sure keep Baku Worf, unless you're set with base security. Are there immortalized crew you never use? You may be able to spare some of those 1/4s if you are keeping dead weight elsewhere.

    Just from what I can remember (not looking at the wiki), Dr. Toby isn't very good. Dolim is only good for the arena. I use Changling Bashir all the time for voyages.
  • Marko RamiusMarko Ramius ✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Command Hologram

    First Goran'Agar
    Dr. Toby Russell
    Maquis Eddington
    Captain Kurn
    Commander Dolim
    Anastasia Komanov
    Lieutenant Arex Na Eth
    Silik (in overdraft)

    There's no reason that any of these can't go. Even FF/FE, their usefulness is limited.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

    Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

    ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

    Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    Malfunctioning Data - Insurrection Quote - Secondary Protocol is active.
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Ambassador Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling.
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head?
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!
  • EctorEctor ✭✭
    When I see a crew member with two skills, I presume that (s)he has great values for those skills or great combat abilities. Is it better to have three skills, but none of them at high level?
    Dolim has nice combat abilities (including +1250 Evasion!) and immediately deals 350% damage, triggered by Position. Eddington is much worse than Dolim, and I'd sac him, but keep Dolim.
    Anastasia Komananov is beautiful, and has pretty high Presence score. She also has pretty high Attack bonus for a long time, activated early. I have her too, and never thought about salvaging her.

    Dr. Russell has outstanding Accuracy in combat (+9), and very high Crit. Bonus. Captain Kurn deals massive damage and provides great Accuracy and good Crit. Bonus.

    Why do you need Drafted McCoy? I also have him, and he's my first candidate for airlock. Why do you need Trader Odo?
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭
    If you were to take in all aspects of the game into consideration:
    I'd probably suggest:
    Eddington, Russel and Dolim

    - Arena is a bit mute at this point because all the crew are 1/4 and not FE either.

    you could add Komananov - but i am biased when it comes like that and because bar Falcon O'Brien and Honey Bare I have the set.
    Activity Date 20-10-17 to present
    Immortals Legendaries: 6 | Super Rares: 91 | Rare: 66 | Uncommon: 47 | Common: 26 |
    Coastal Trekkers Recruiting https://stt.wiki/wiki/Fleet_Coastal_Trekkers
  • SST - 9of7SST - 9of7 ✭✭✭
    Before you start airlocking check whether to have your blues and greens down to 7. Depending on the items you need and depending on if you are playing commander division you can even cut back to 6.
    Even 5 or possibly 4, if you don't mind being a bit more limited on missions and depend on voyage drops only to fill your rooster to 3 persons to start a mission.

    I had cut back to 6 (4 greens and 2 blues) for a quite a while without trouble.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭
    SST - 9of7 wrote: »
    Before you start airlocking check whether to have your blues and greens down to 7. Depending on the items you need and depending on if you are playing commander division you can even cut back to 6.
    Even 5 or possibly 4, if you don't mind being a bit more limited on missions and depend on voyage drops only to fill your rooster to 3 persons to start a mission.

    I had cut back to 6 (4 greens and 2 blues) for a quite a while without trouble.

    or if you have enough merits for a spell and in fact I still do this is have 3 slots for cadets and change as necessary each day remembering Cryo costs change on Dabo refresh so you can make merit costs cheaper this way as well.
    Activity Date 20-10-17 to present
    Immortals Legendaries: 6 | Super Rares: 91 | Rare: 66 | Uncommon: 47 | Common: 26 |
    Coastal Trekkers Recruiting https://stt.wiki/wiki/Fleet_Coastal_Trekkers
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doc Crusher is great for gauntlet if you don't have Phlox or Nurse Faith.
  • Shy Khan wrote: »
    Command Hologram

    First Goran'Agar
    Dr. Toby Russell
    Maquis Eddington
    Captain Kurn
    Commander Dolim
    Anastasia Komanov
    Lieutenant Arex Na Eth
    Silik (in overdraft)

    There's no reason that any of these can't go. Even FF/FE, their usefulness is limited.

    This is a good list. All of these are more for collection than actual game usefulness, and you won't be missing anything spacing them. As others have said, make sure your cadet crew is optimized, and also, don't be afraid to freeze some immortalized SR (if you have them) for a little while as necessary until you get things back under control. You always think that you will really miss them and that your shuttles and voyages will suffer without them, but I always manage to get by.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭
    - Cadet crew is optimized at 4 uncommon and 3 rare.
    - I only have 4 active super-rares FF/FE that are workhorses for me and are not being frozen.
    - I'm aware of the many arguments for freezing all immortalized crew, but that strategy does not work for my VIP0/100 crew slot situation.

    So, I'm going to stick with picking and choosing single-starred super-rares to walk the plank.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6
    SST - 9of7 wrote: »
    Before you start airlocking check whether to have your blues and greens down to 7. Depending on the items you need and depending on if you are playing commander division you can even cut back to 6.
    Even 5 or possibly 4, if you don't mind being a bit more limited on missions and depend on voyage drops only to fill your rooster to 3 persons to start a mission.

    I had cut back to 6 (4 greens and 2 blues) for a quite a while without trouble.

    or if you have enough merits for a spell and in fact I still do this is have 3 slots for cadets and change as necessary each day remembering Cryo costs change on Dabo refresh so you can make merit costs cheaper this way as well.

    This strategy of "just bring them back later" never works for a VIP0 player with limited slots. The rate of influx of new crew always exceeds the rate of cryofreeze. It becomes impossible to unfreeze crew for use until a slot giveaway/sale.

    I tried this strat earlier this year by freezing all my Rares, and was unable to get them back until last month's slot giveaway. Losing the credits and equipment farming of weekend Advanced Cadet Challenges for several months wasn't worth it.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Shy Khan wrote: »
    - Cadet crew is optimized at 4 uncommon and 3 rare.
    - I only have 4 active super-rares FF/FE that are workhorses for me and are not being frozen.
    - I'm aware of the many arguments for freezing all immortalized crew, but that strategy does not work for my VIP0/100 crew slot situation.

    So, I'm going to stick with picking and choosing single-starred super-rares to walk the plank.

    Sounds like you've thought it through and determined what works best for you. I'd stick with the narrowed down list and fire away.
  • EddNogEddNog ✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    - Cadet crew is optimized at 4 uncommon and 3 rare.
    - I only have 4 active super-rares FF/FE that are workhorses for me and are not being frozen.
    - I'm aware of the many arguments for freezing all immortalized crew, but that strategy does not work for my VIP0/100 crew slot situation.

    So, I'm going to stick with picking and choosing single-starred super-rares to walk the plank.

    Which 4 uncommon and which 3 rare?

    -Ed
  • EddNogEddNog ✭✭
    edited July 6
    SST - 9of7 wrote: »
    Before you start airlocking check whether to have your blues and greens down to 7. Depending on the items you need and depending on if you are playing commander division you can even cut back to 6.
    Even 5 or possibly 4, if you don't mind being a bit more limited on missions and depend on voyage drops only to fill your rooster to 3 persons to start a mission.

    I had cut back to 6 (4 greens and 2 blues) for a quite a while without trouble.

    Which 6 (4 greens/2 blues)?

    -Ed
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    EddNog wrote: »
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    - Cadet crew is optimized at 4 uncommon and 3 rare.
    - I only have 4 active super-rares FF/FE that are workhorses for me and are not being frozen.
    - I'm aware of the many arguments for freezing all immortalized crew, but that strategy does not work for my VIP0/100 crew slot situation.

    So, I'm going to stick with picking and choosing single-starred super-rares to walk the plank.

    Which 4 uncommon and which 3 rare?

    -Ed

    Be careful of dismissing all your greens and blues except a few. If you do, you will limit yourself to which missions you can run. In my experience, don't open and pulls until you have passed all the cadet missions. Then you can freeze a bunch. I was suffering for space until I focused on the blue and green crew and getting them immortalized. If you focus on purple first, you will never finish the blue. I keep more than os necessary for cadet missions, but I have the flexibility to pass any level.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    This strategy of "just bring them back later" never works for a VIP0 player with limited slots. The rate of influx of new crew always exceeds the rate of cryofreeze.

    It works if you stay very discerning regarding which new crew make it onto your roster. For example, I have an alt account which is VIP0, captain level 50, and it has 20 free slots right now. From this event, I will only keep Reed if I clear thresholds and get him FF. I of course hang on to all Legendaries, but with new super-rare crew (that drop from Voyages or lucky free pulls), I only keep main cast crew, and sometimes only the best ones of those (and the occasional Gauntlet powerhouse like Valeris).

    Keeping your active crew tight also helps when it comes to immortalizing (and possibly freezing) your existing crew: it's much easier to focus your resources on a couple at a time when you don't have scads of them crying out for attention at once. Being VIP0 means making a few sacrifices, which paying players don't have to do — or at least don't have to do as fervently (I still believe a discriminating attitude towards potential new crew is helpful for every player, no matter their spending habits).


    Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    The time has come to send some more of my 1/4 Super Rare crew to live on that farm in upstate Ceti Alpha VI. They're all mostly unleveled and 1-star. Suggestions?

    Additional thoughts?

    Keep:
    Command Hologram
    Changeling Bashir
    Assimilated Tuvok
    Ba'ku Worf
    Nexus Kirk
    Doc Crusher

    Maybe:
    Tommy Gun Dixon
    Trader Odo
    Captain Kurn
    Drafted McCoy
    Cadet Wesley Crusher
    Anastasia Komanov
    Silik (in overdraft)

    Taste Vacuum:
    First Goran'Agar
    Dr. Toby Russell
    Maquis Eddington
    Lieutenant Arex Na Eth
    Commander Dolim
    Kazon Seska

    My bias here was to not recommend airlocking any main cast types. The 'keep' list has specific value or are strong at what they do (in my opinion at least). For the maybe list - I like a lot of them if you can keep them, but if you can't, you can't.
  • EctorEctor ✭✭
    Could anybody please tell me why Trader Odo or Drafted McCoy are useful? I have both at 1/4 stars and seriously think about dumping them.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ector wrote: »
    Could anybody please tell me why Trader Odo or Drafted McCoy are useful? I have both at 1/4 stars and seriously think about dumping them.

    I think it's mostly due to them being main cast characters and therefore more likely to show up as future event bonus crew.


    Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    This strategy of "just bring them back later" never works for a VIP0 player with limited slots. The rate of influx of new crew always exceeds the rate of cryofreeze.

    It works if you stay very discerning regarding which new crew make it onto your roster. For example, I have an alt account which is VIP0, captain level 50, and it has 20 free slots right now. From this event, I will only keep Reed if I clear thresholds and get him FF. I of course hang on to all Legendaries, but with new super-rare crew (that drop from Voyages or lucky free pulls), I only keep main cast crew, and sometimes only the best ones of those (and the occasional Gauntlet powerhouse like Valeris).

    Keeping your active crew tight also helps when it comes to immortalizing (and possibly freezing) your existing crew: it's much easier to focus your resources on a couple at a time when you don't have scads of them crying out for attention at once. Being VIP0 means making a few sacrifices, which paying players don't have to do — or at least don't have to do as fervently (I still believe a discriminating attitude towards potential new crew is helpful for every player, no matter their spending habits).
    You’re agreeing with me. This strat only works if you cull your crew list. You can’t keep every new super-rare that comes along AND expect to bring back frozen crew at a moments notice.

    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭
    EddNog wrote: »
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    - Cadet crew is optimized at 4 uncommon and 3 rare.
    - I only have 4 active super-rares FF/FE that are workhorses for me and are not being frozen.
    - I'm aware of the many arguments for freezing all immortalized crew, but that strategy does not work for my VIP0/100 crew slot situation.

    So, I'm going to stick with picking and choosing single-starred super-rares to walk the plank.

    Which 4 uncommon and which 3 rare?

    -Ed
    Uncommon: Seska, T’’Pol, Sito, Crusher
    Rare: Ezri, Torres, Saavik

    This gives me the run of Elite levels on most days, which I happen to find the most useful in terms of Holos, Science Experiments, Medical Experiments and the occasional bunch of Orchids and Romulan algorithms, as well as the Thursday boosts and Saturday credits. It certainly lets me hit my Daily Missions.

    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    You’re agreeing with me. This strat only works if you cull your crew list. You can’t keep every new super-rare that comes along AND expect to bring back frozen crew at a moments notice.

    Okay, yeah — I see where you're coming from now. 👍



    Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    You’re agreeing with me. This strat only works if you cull your crew list. You can’t keep every new super-rare that comes along AND expect to bring back frozen crew at a moments notice.

    Okay, yeah — I see where you're coming from now. 👍

    To a certain extent this true but cryo is now merit only so if you do good runs on gauntlet and not spend merits on refresh or faction centre it can still be very much viable for a VIP 0. You also have an insight of potential bonus crew about a week in advance, coupled in with weekday challenges you can get away with only swapping one green crew in and out thus giving you two other options per day. And for weekend similar do a one star swap so Saturday and Monday is the only day you bring in 3 in a row.

    For Example my schedule was as follows:
    Mon- Worf, Jaxa, Dax T- Jaxa out Seska in W revert to monday lineup, Thursday Worf out Seska in and then Friday revert.
    Sat - Mara Torres and Saavik Sun - Saavik out Spock in.

    Yes I'm only doing same mission over and over but quite often the items farmed are the ones always handy to have such as medical lessons, 0* science experiments, 2* Encryptions plus much more.
    Activity Date 20-10-17 to present
    Immortals Legendaries: 6 | Super Rares: 91 | Rare: 66 | Uncommon: 47 | Common: 26 |
    Coastal Trekkers Recruiting https://stt.wiki/wiki/Fleet_Coastal_Trekkers
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    You’re agreeing with me. This strat only works if you cull your crew list. You can’t keep every new super-rare that comes along AND expect to bring back frozen crew at a moments notice.

    Okay, yeah — I see where you're coming from now. 👍

    To a certain extent this true but cryo is now merit only so if you do good runs on gauntlet and not spend merits on refresh or faction centre it can still be very much viable for a VIP 0. You also have an insight of potential bonus crew about a week in advance, coupled in with weekday challenges you can get away with only swapping one green crew in and out thus giving you two other options per day. And for weekend similar do a one star swap so Saturday and Monday is the only day you bring in 3 in a row.

    For Example my schedule was as follows:
    Mon- Worf, Jaxa, Dax T- Jaxa out Seska in W revert to monday lineup, Thursday Worf out Seska in and then Friday revert.
    Sat - Mara Torres and Saavik Sun - Saavik out Spock in.

    Yes I'm only doing same mission over and over but quite often the items farmed are the ones always handy to have such as medical lessons, 0* science experiments, 2* Encryptions plus much more.
    It’s not an unfreezing merit-cost Issue, it’s having space for the swap itself. Unless something changed and I missed it, you need an empty slot to unfreeze crew. You can’t just freeze immortalized crew to make room for someone in the vault if you have crew in overflow, it just fills up with more 1/4 or 1/5 crew. I personally hate that mechanic and wish you could hot swap crew, but so far as I know, you can’t right now.

    So whether now or in a week or two, you’re still going to have to airlock someone.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭
    edited July 9
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    It’s not an unfreezing merit-cost Issue, it’s having space for the swap itself. Unless something changed and I missed it, you need an empty slot to unfreeze crew. You can’t just freeze immortalized crew to make room for someone in the vault if you have crew in overflow, it just fills up with more 1/4 or 1/5 crew. I personally hate that mechanic and wish you could hot swap crew, but so far as I know, you can’t right now.

    So whether now or in a week or two, you’re still going to have to airlock someone.

    Ah I see now, well then yes you will have to make sacrifices, I don't spend big on the game but nor am I VIP 0 and I've still had to make sacrifices it really is unavoidable at times. Mind you i've only had to airlock a purple 5 times.
    I usually have a group of 1/4s I earmark for relegation zone:
    John Harriman, Commander Tomalak, Danara Pel (although she's now 2/4 thank you RNG!), Fesek, Pel.

    Although if merit cost is not an issue then you could keep 3 extra in overflow airlock your least favourites/or the 3 in overflow, unfreeze your cadets do your challenges then freeze your cadets and re-enlist the purples you just airlocked. But you can only do this if you know you are going to immortalise people within a day. The question is how many immortal purples do you hang on to in your roster?
    Activity Date 20-10-17 to present
    Immortals Legendaries: 6 | Super Rares: 91 | Rare: 66 | Uncommon: 47 | Common: 26 |
    Coastal Trekkers Recruiting https://stt.wiki/wiki/Fleet_Coastal_Trekkers
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭
    Keep Tommy Gun Dixon -- still one of very few that can unlock a particular node on epic.

    Trader Odo also used to be one of very few that could unlock a particular node, but I feel like there are more options for that one in the game. Merchant with high diplomacy skill, maybe? Can't remember specifically now as it's been months since I finished every node in the game.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 73
    VIP Level: 11
    Crew Immortalized: 315
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12
    So far I've airlocked Eddington and First Goran'Agar, as well as Silik who was in overflow, but of course the Loot Pool is just toying with me now. Added three more 1/4 super-rares to my overflow this past week:

    Northstar Archer
    Princess Jadzia
    Undercover O'Brien

    Thinking Dr. Toby Russell, Captain Kurn and Commander Dolim may be up next. We'll see what next week's Event crew is.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited July 12
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Northstar Archer
    THAT Collection. Not bad at 4/4 (though not particularly awesome).
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Princess Jadzia
    One of the best 4*. Made on some of my voyages as 2/4.
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Undercover O'Brien
    On one hand it's O'Brien. On other not particularly noteworthy. May worth keeping him over those three you named though.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16
    Captain Kurn and Commander Dolim have gone to Stovalkor, but RNG has sent Mirror Ezri to replace them.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭
    Those three are certainly better than the ones you're toying with airlocking. Undercover O'Brien is really only a standout in the arena, so not as critical as the other two.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 73
    VIP Level: 11
    Crew Immortalized: 315
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited July 16
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Captain Kurn and Commander Dolim have gone to Stovalkor, but RNG has sent Mirror Ezri to replace them.
    Are you short on Daxes for event bonus? She's another not really good 2-skill.

    PS. I would say airlock Arex or Seska over Tobi from one-offs, Russel may be good enough for voyages at 4/4, Arex or Seska not so much. From event crew 2skillers Ezri, Kira (Anastasia), McCoy and Wesley should be around same level of airlockableness (after Arex and Seska, but maybe before Tobi... maybe after).
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.