Home Ready Room

The Big Book of Behold Advice

2456

Comments

  • calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some reading on the subject, it appears you two aren't alone. Especially seems to come up with Safari and apple products in general. This link gives a command to do a "hard reset" of the browser that might help, gives the command for chrome/safari:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/8e8bq0/psa_if_youre_facing_the_too_many_redirects_with/

    This link talks about how to turn off cross-site tracking, which sounds like a paranoid feature to prevent relevant advertising to me:
    https://www.macobserver.com/news/google-drive-redirects-error/

    another method talking about enabling cookies for specific sites:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/a4foyh/gmail_on_chrome_only_too_many_redirects_new/

    hope these help!

    I turned off the cross-site tracking option on my iPad, and that appears to have done the trick.

    Thank you kindly...
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun idea. :) Grats on one year of one of the most valuable resources for this monster of a stats game.
  • ÷Dr. Claire Finn - Admiral of the Battleship Yamato & Founder of both the Battleship Yamato & ISS Yamato
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭

    Happy anniversary, and a big thank you to everyone who has worked on this project!
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • I make very regular use of the BBB and alongside the very useful wiki it is an indispensable resource for the committed players of STT. I'd like to express my gratitude for all the work put into the book, and here's to another year of helpful info on tricky beholds.
    Account on it's final tour, soon to be retired!
  • Thank you for this invaluable resource :)
  • I need some advice :o and both characters are equal level in the book.

    I have a begold, and i have to choose between added a second star to chancellor l'rell orgetting a first copy of temporal prisoner chakotay.

    So i cant choose.

    I would add a star to l'rell. But only have 10 legendary crew, and the ENG/MED combination i really need in my roster. I struggle with both in voyages. So that makes chakotay tempting.

    Anyone any advice?
  • Thank you very much! I'd forgotten about how easy dip is to come by. I'll go for Chakotay :)
  • The new tier system blew my mind. I agree that 15 might be getting a bit too big; it kind of shocked me when I started editing my tracking document and found that there were a ton of changes...
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Tip to decrease loading times of the BBB ( and any other links/favorites you have to google docs )

    Change the EDIT at the end of the URL to VIEW instead.

    This will load the page/hyperlink/favorite in reading mode, which will reduce the load time since no editing components will be loaded.
  • mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but was looking through the "picture book" version of the big book and noticed a few changes that need to be made http://stt.doroexplo.com/all

    - Theres only 10 Tiers now
    - Da Vinci - Now T3
    - Pollard - Now T2
    - New Eden Owo is a 4*, not 5*
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JiveDutch wrote: »
    Tip to decrease loading times of the BBB ( and any other links/favorites you have to google docs )

    Change the EDIT at the end of the URL to VIEW instead.

    This will load the page/hyperlink/favorite in reading mode, which will reduce the load time since no editing components will be loaded.

    We're not getting faster times on varying devices (logged out), but that's great if it helps others, thank you. Will edit the OP link.
    mejoyh wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but was looking through the "picture book" version of the big book and noticed a few changes that need to be made http://stt.doroexplo.com/all

    - Theres only 10 Tiers now
    - Da Vinci - Now T3
    - Pollard - Now T2
    - New Eden Owo is a 4*, not 5*

    That site is maintained by someone else; you can contact him on Reddit. Unfortunately his site is updated manually and because of the volume of daily tweaks and updates we do, such discrepancies are a chronic issue. Props to him for hosting and maintaining it as long as he has, though.

  • JiveDutch wrote: »
    Change the EDIT at the end of the URL to VIEW instead.
    We're not getting faster times on varying devices (logged out), but that's great if it helps others, thank you. Will edit the OP link.
    Thnx ... i use the site thru my ipony se, my old surface tab, and several desktops ... i think i noticed the diff on my surface , especially when on a slow wifi

    In Edit view you can also see who else is "editing/viewing" the document .. and when they have selections thru the document you get their cursors ...
    But that could have been me spying while you guys were updating .......


    Time to break out the Tinfoil Placebo hats ...
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JiveDutch wrote: »
    In Edit view you can also see who else is "editing/viewing" the document .. and when they have selections thru the document you get their cursors ...
    But that could have been me spying while you guys were updating .......


    Time to break out the Tinfoil Placebo hats ...

    Haha that's a feature, not a bug™️. Outside of big formatting changes and new crew entries, we do all changes on the live doc so players can see them as they happen. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I think it's nice to know that it's active and always getting some TLC.
  • I looked up Runaway Po and at the end of the text you get this; “Now read the first word of each sentence.”
    Genius :-)
  • If you don't mind the critique - Vina has an incredibly negative write up, but you've installed her at tier 4, worth pushing or not? You indicate not, so why T4? Everything equal and below is also virtually worthless???

    The BB has been an invaluable resource, many thanks to all those that have contributed, but, to my mind, T4 should read a lot more positive if truly T4.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also something of an inverse relationship between voyages and shuttles. Voyages demand equal representation, so thanks to the concept of value over replacement, an ENG/MED skill set is several times more valuable than a CMD/DIP/SEC of equal strength. While on shuttles, you're often forced to utilize only one base from a crew with a rare skill pairing, which robs you of the extra scoring potential of 'and' seats. This relationship isn't exactly relevant to the note/tier discussion, but is worth considering. If you place more value on voyages, you want those rare skill sets. If you love Faction events, ENG/MED and other such crew lose value.

    This is an important point that I don’t see discussed often (or at all, really). Case in point: my immortal White Rabbit is my best ENG/MED voyager and it’s not even that close - The Caretaker is I think several hundred points behind despite also being immortal (I’m on the road for work and can’t check my master spreadsheet). The Rabbit makes any voyage with any two of his skills, as well any others where I need a MED or ENG boost from any seat he can fill. Voyage utility for me is off the charts.

    For shuttles? White Rabbit is only my third best option for straight ENG slots (behind two mega legendaries) and is well behind Spider Barclay, Mirror Cochrane, Leonardo, and Survivalist Kirk for ENG/SCI seats. And as my tenth-best doctor, there is literally no time when the Rabbit would fill a MED or MED/SCI seat (if a voyage needs MED that badly, he’d be on it anyway). His ENG base is great and if he’s not on a voyage he is very likely to end up on a shuttle, but VORP compared to other engineers is very limited for shuttle use.
  • Many thanks for The Good Book :wink:
  • marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your explanation on Vina. I used to take the BB tiers as gospel, but now that I’ve gotten a little farther in the game, I appreciate the unique balancing act you have to do.

    I don’t think you’ll ever go *wrong* going by the BB, but I’ve been musing citing up Amanda Rogers despite the fact she’s “only” a Tier 4, because for one reason, I think her Voyage use will be off the charts for the foreseeable future on my roster (much like the poster above with the White Rabbit.)

    I appreciate your detailed notes because it helps me make my own decisions about what works best for my roster—and the tiers do make great starting points for discussion, as well as providing a “can’t go wrong” baseline for newer/less serious players.

    I know you’ve gotten a lot of thanks already, but just another thank you from me you and your contributors, not only for doing the work in the first place, but also for making it so widely available. And kudos for being willing to answer questions when something doesn’t make sense to a player. That’s something that a lot of creators don’t have the time or the inclination to do.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think you’ll ever go *wrong* going by the BB, but I’ve been musing citing up Amanda Rogers despite the fact she’s “only” a Tier 4, because for one reason, I think her Voyage use will be off the charts for the foreseeable future on my roster (much like the poster above with the White Rabbit.)

    I appreciate your detailed notes because it helps me make my own decisions about what works best for my roster—and the tiers do make great starting points for discussion, as well as providing a “can’t go wrong” baseline for newer/less serious players.

    These tier lists have always been so cool to me. In trading card games as a kid, or the artifact tier list in some other mobile game I used to play. Opening a pack and then eagerly looking up the choices to see if I got anything good was fun. Christmas in July. STT is a bit different, of course, since your love of the character plays a big role. But having something for new and casual players was definitely the goal.

    When I first started playing, I sought out some kind of rankings list so I wouldn't get myself started on the wrong foot or miss something that I'd kick myself about forever. There was a tier list on the old forums and I was thrilled when I consulted it and saw that Commander Uhura was listed as S class. Full props to its creator - 2016 was a way different game and I am grateful to have had a list to consult and learn from. No complaints about that. But the fact that she never did a damn thing for me, sat at 1/4 for over a year, and then wasn't even the best choice for me in a galaxy feature at FF is something that has always stuck in my craw. So having, as you say, an up-to-date baseline where (just about) everyone can agree within a 2-3 tier difference is a big boon to new players, I hope.

    I'm right with you guys on roster construction. I'd move White Rabbit to the head of the line if I had him - ENG/MED is about 30 minutes behind my other voyage combos. My advice to anyone who thinks they have even the slightest clue what they're doing; ignore the tiers unless it's 2 vs 8. Read the notes and see if what they offer is what you need.
  • Many thanks for the replies Automaton_2000, interesting to see how thought process work.

    Maybe I misread/ misunderstood something I read a while back, card stats; Base for Shuttles, Proficiency for Gauntlet, Combined for Voyages.

    I'll give you Annorax (the unloved one) T6, Voyages #118, is superior to to Honored Owesekan T3, Voyages #21 by those rules, or do the 50ish points difference (given my starbase and collection bonuses which should work out fairly even anyway) really make nearly 100 places position difference?

    As for Vina, her 'competition' in my crew is Commander Troi, who gets no game time beyond faction quick start. Vina may well be better, BUT, is she usable beyond the next part of the mega? Tenavik will have use beyond the coming weekend, but the other 4 golds from the event???

    Alos, whilst I'm at it, I'm not convinced that gauntlet strength or otherwise is particularly relevent in the tiers, maybe as a bonus to move up a level, but overall, fairly pointless given the top 'prize' is another gauntlet character, that yuo don't actually getting for winning ......
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vid wrote: »
    Many thanks for the replies Automaton_2000, interesting to see how thought process work.

    Maybe I misread/ misunderstood something I read a while back, card stats; Base for Shuttles, Proficiency for Gauntlet, Combined for Voyages.

    I'll give you Annorax (the unloved one) T6, Voyages #118, is superior to to Honored Owesekan T3, Voyages #21 by those rules, or do the 50ish points difference (given my starbase and collection bonuses which should work out fairly even anyway) really make nearly 100 places position difference?

    As for Vina, her 'competition' in my crew is Commander Troi, who gets no game time beyond faction quick start. Vina may well be better, BUT, is she usable beyond the next part of the mega? Tenavik will have use beyond the coming weekend, but the other 4 golds from the event???

    Alos, whilst I'm at it, I'm not convinced that gauntlet strength or otherwise is particularly relevent in the tiers, maybe as a bonus to move up a level, but overall, fairly pointless given the top 'prize' is another gauntlet character, that yuo don't actually getting for winning ......

    I don't quite understand what you're asking with Annorax/Owo. If you're talking about the 'Combined' tab in-game in the crew panel, that only looks at one skill compared to all three for voyage rank and the 'Combined' tab is base + maximum proficiency, whereas voyages takes base + average proficiency.

    Vina will be just fine after this mega event. I posted this in the event thread that talks a little bit to her voyage potential on the average roster. And she still has a big DIP base that you will find shuttle work for if you star her up. Losing Discovery megas will hurt for sure, but we don't know if that's a certainty yet.

    It's funny you say that about the gauntlet, I just had someone say yesterday that the doc undervalues gauntlet contributions. We try to give events and gauntlet equal consideration and trust the player to make the behold choice that benefits their style of play the most.

    We've been talking about Vina and the Discovery crew for most of the day and to go back to what you said the other day, her note probably is too harsh and we're not seeing a tier difference between her and the likes of New Eden Pike or Honored Owosekun. Losing event chances would hurt her a lot, but that's true of about 60 other crew at this point. She's still a strong voyager and even the fortuitous timing on her 45% Romantic/Federation/Diplomat gauntlet going on right now is saying to give her another look.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Vid wrote: »
    Alos, whilst I'm at it, I'm not convinced that gauntlet strength or otherwise is particularly relevent in the tiers, maybe as a bonus to move up a level, but overall, fairly pointless given the top 'prize' is another gauntlet character, that yuo don't actually getting for winning ......

    Just to pick up on this last point but this is the big book of behold advice, chances are you are looking at this document because you are unlocking a crew at 1/5 and you're not sure of their use. Gauntlet would therefore be a strong argument for choosing a new card (as you only ever need them at 1/5) also high proficiency can make that card a stronger than the average 1/5 in terms of voyage score (because by fully equipping them you have unlocked their overall voyage potential much sooner), so they may make more voyages than others at 1/5.

    I won't go down the gauntlet argument as there is extensive arguments on the forum about the Pros and Cons of participating in gauntlet. My view will remain that there is far more pros to cons.
    Activity Date 26-10-17 to circa April 2020, RETIRED Sqd. Ldr. Magnificent Treknicians - CURRENTLY RECRUITING! JOIN NOW.
    Coastal Trekkers [Recruiting] https://stt.wiki/wiki/Fleet_Coastal_Trekkers

    TP: RAISE YOUR STANDARDS, NOT THE GAME INTO THE GROUND

    STAY SAFE and KBO
Sign In or Register to comment.