Proto Barclay

RogaDanarRogaDanar ✭✭✭
Shouldn't he have the trait of Human? Proto Worf has a trait of Klingon.

Comments

  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice.
  • Of course he should. Just another forgotten or arguable trait during creation of crew card. It happens.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Each crew can have a dozen or more traits if they wanted to. I believe DB have said they are chosen for various reasons including competitive balance. Certain characters may be too strong in one aspect of the game if given all the traits we think they should have.
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I couldn't even start with the traits I could dispute. How many times on a voyage do you say to yourself that "X" crew should get a bonus because they should have "Y" trait?

    Surely Borg Queen should have the telepath trait, Tuxedo Nog should be a veteran and a gambler, I could go on forever.

    Luckily there's a thread to post this on here... https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/10931/trait-audit-thread-new#latest
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    Lol, I couldn't even start with the traits I could dispute. How many times on a voyage do you say to yourself that "X" crew should get a bonus because they should have "Y" trait?

    Surely Borg Queen should have the telepath trait, Tuxedo Nog should be a veteran and a gambler, I could go on forever.

    Luckily there's a thread to post this on here... https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/10931/trait-audit-thread-new#latest

    Why should Borg Queen have telepath?
  • Yateball wrote: »
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    Lol, I couldn't even start with the traits I could dispute. How many times on a voyage do you say to yourself that "X" crew should get a bonus because they should have "Y" trait?

    Surely Borg Queen should have the telepath trait, Tuxedo Nog should be a veteran and a gambler, I could go on forever.

    Luckily there's a thread to post this on here... https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/10931/trait-audit-thread-new#latest

    Why should Borg Queen have telepath?

    Because skes connected to all the drones and cam hear their thoughts? With that line of thinking all Borg should have that trait.
  • HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭
    edited May 15
    Yateball wrote: »
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    Lol, I couldn't even start with the traits I could dispute. How many times on a voyage do you say to yourself that "X" crew should get a bonus because they should have "Y" trait?

    Surely Borg Queen should have the telepath trait, Tuxedo Nog should be a veteran and a gambler, I could go on forever.

    Luckily there's a thread to post this on here... https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/10931/trait-audit-thread-new#latest

    Why should Borg Queen have telepath?

    Because skes connected to all the drones and cam hear their thoughts? With that line of thinking all Borg should have that trait.

    No. Borg is using tech for that not telepathy. And Borg cannot communicate that way with nonBorg while telepaths can communicate with almost everyone... even with Borg.
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16
    Can we get some more characters from TAS?
    Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress
    • Amanda Rogers
    • Sarah MacDougal
    • Mirasta Yale
    • Agmar
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaBlack wrote: »
    Yateball wrote: »
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    Lol, I couldn't even start with the traits I could dispute. How many times on a voyage do you say to yourself that "X" crew should get a bonus because they should have "Y" trait?

    Surely Borg Queen should have the telepath trait, Tuxedo Nog should be a veteran and a gambler, I could go on forever.

    Luckily there's a thread to post this on here... https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/10931/trait-audit-thread-new#latest

    Why should Borg Queen have telepath?

    Because skes connected to all the drones and cam hear their thoughts? With that line of thinking all Borg should have that trait.

    No. Borg is using tech for that not telepathy. And Borg cannot communicate that way with nonBorg while telepaths can communicate with almost everyone... even with Borg.

    This.... very much not a telepath, the hive mind and telepathy are very different
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think she should have the telepath trait, she probably could do with the villain trait though :D

    Let's not go down that road, please.
    Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16
    If telepathy is done with technology, then is it no longer telepathy?
    I have an artificial implant in my left eye that restores my sight. By the same reasoning I have no sight.
  • muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    CYBORG!!
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    If telepathy is done with technology, then is it no longer telepathy?
    I have an artificial implant in my left eye that restores my sight. By the same reasoning I have no sight.

    Per Wikimedia: "Telepathy is the purported transmission of information from one person to another without using any known human sensory channels or physical interaction." For the Borg, there is physical interaction with futuristic versions of transponders/receivers transmitting data and connecting to the brain. So, no, it's not telepathy. And in the Queen's case in particular, it's more like remote-control.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 83
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 405
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭
    Surak has the telepath trait and has to touch a persons face to transmit his thoughts.
    The Borg Queen has no physical interaction with another Borg in order to communicate.
    As for physical interactions, Is there one? My own implant in my eye has no real interaction with me, but only with the light that enters my eye. Does a Borg brain actually interact with any device, or do only the thoughts interact? A radio signal could be seen as a good example, the signal interacts with an arial which then interacts with a crystal which then sends out electronic data to a speaker. There is no direct interaction between arial and speaker. The only interaction within the device would be the signal itself (as in telepathy).
    The etymology of the word is Greek from "tele" (distance) and pathos or -patheia (feeling, perception, passion, affliction, experience). It certainly fits with what she is seen to do on screen.


    Btw, I am enjoying this, a good debate is always entertaining (on the condition that it remains civil).
  • ByloBandByloBand ✭✭✭✭✭
    All matter is made up of atoms, all atoms are essentially empty space save for a tiny,dense nucleus orbited by electrons. Atoms do not ever touch, therefore by the strictest definition all physical interactions are an illusion.
    Rather than take up real estate on The Bridge with my random game thoughts, I've started doing log entries in the Starport recruitment thread in Fleet Central.
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, like in First contact when Picard notes that he can hear thier voices? lol
    Or the repeated assertion that Lwaxana Troi can only have telepathic contact with other telepaths (despite the fact that her daughter can do it with Riker)?

    Memory alpha does actually include the Borg in the section entitled "telepathy and technology" as well as citing other technological solutions to telepathy.

    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Telepathy
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    A borg neural implant is essentially like having a phone that is implanted into your brain. Borgs cannot speak with others who do not have a neural implant just like you could not use your phone to talk to someone who did not have a phone. So not telepathy. Someone with telepathy can speak to anyone regardless of what abilities that other person has. But if the Borg found a way to speak to others' minds who did not have a Borg neural implant then it would be telepathy, an artificial telepathy, but telepathy nonetheless.

    Within the context of discussing the proper definition of a non-existent mental capability, this explanation is excellent in my mind. The borg solution requires both parties to have a technology implant in order to communicate within their mind, therefore the borg drone itself does not have the power of telepathy, the neural implant is simulating it. Since the concept of telepathy is a mental power, to me it would not make sense to extend this to technological solutions that simulate it.

    I can think of examples to support both positions though. For example, if a being had a power to shoot phasers out of their hands without technology, would we also say that a person holding a phaser now has the powers to shoot phasers out of themselves? No, the technology does.

    However, let's consider emotions. Generally we consider only living things to have emotions generating from an organic brain, but do we presume then it's impossible that an artificial brain will never be sophisticated enough to equivalently simulate emotions? Since the entire brain and being would be artificial, do we define those as emotions? How about defining "alive" (aka a great data episode)?
  • Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    Or the repeated assertion that Lwaxana Troi can only have telepathic contact with other telepaths (despite the fact that her daughter can do it with Riker)?

    That is never asserted, it's very much the opposite. She's always trolling non-telepaths because she can sense their thoughts. There are telepathic races that can only communicate with those of the same species, or with other telepaths like Lwaxana, but Betazoids are definitely not in that category.
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17
    I'll restate that part then... the repeated assertion that she can only have a full 2 way conversation with other telepaths.

    I will bow out gracefully, as I can see the opposition is too strong and that my own opinion is not supported by others. I will, however restate that Picard could hear the thoughts of the Borg without the aid of any technologial implants (I waslooking for a gif but couldn't find one, lol). Further to the point that Memory Alpha clearly states the Borg as telepaths.
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    I'll restate that part then... the repeated assertion that she can only have a full 2 way conversation with other telepaths.

    I will bow out gracefully, as I can see the opposition is too strong and that my own opinion is not supported by others. I will, however restate that Picard could hear the thoughts of the Borg without the aid of any technologial implants (I waslooking for a gif but couldn't find one, lol). Further to the point that Memory Alpha clearly states the Borg as telepaths.

    That was a terrible moment though that was never explained, why he could suddenly hear them (never before without implants) and conveniently found their ship's weak spot. That was just the writers being lazy and was a completely weak moment IMO.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was Borg. A part of him would forever be linked to them. He had been connected to the hive mind. His mind sensed their presence. It may have been that Dr. Crusher was not able to remove every piece of Borg tech. It is quite possible that there was a very small piece or part that she could not detect or remove. Not enough that he was Borg or be controlled by the Borg but that could sense the Borg. As far as blowing up the Borg cube I think it made sense. The Borg got all his knowledge when they were linked, it makes sense he would get some of their knowledge. Seven of Nine still remembered much of what she learned when she was part of the Collective.
Sign In or Register to comment.