When they announce Stranded Jett Reno....

DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
And she is a 5* with 1400 Med/1350 Eng/1000 Sci FFFE.

Every player who has been clamoring for her.....

31t7zcwdpf1l.jpg
Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
«1

Comments

  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she's a gold, it means she'll be the reward for the Galaxy event. I'm not sure I want to deal with that competition.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11
    robownage wrote: »
    If she's a gold, it means she'll be the reward for the Galaxy event. I'm not sure I want to deal with that competition.

    I imagine she will end up being a 4*. So, either in Hybrid with Galaxy or Galaxy. I do expect her fans will be fighting for her, whatever level she is. I wish I was still able to generate a lot more Chronitons playing at home. Tablet died, plus cannot afford Wifi Pass.
    Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope she will be legendary with Eng-Med-Sec but we will know on Friday. If she is just a super rare I will be disappointed but not surprised.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11
    And she is a 5* with 1400 Med/1350 Eng/1000 Sci FFFE.

    This is the dream. I've saved up enough honor and a citation that I can nearly fully fuse her immediately if the dream comes true. But, I somehow suspect, like @DScottHewitt, that it is mostly a pipedream.

    We'll see.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 84
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 415
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    And she is a 5* with 1400 Med/1350 Eng/1000 Sci FFFE.

    Every player who has been clamoring for her.....

    31t7zcwdpf1l.jpg

    Never really understood the "prepare for ramming speed." What exactly is ramming speed? Is that like regular speed except on 11?

    I wonder if it also means disengaging safeties on the impulse engines and warp core to make for a more damaging explosion upon impact.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    And she is a 5* with 1400 Med/1350 Eng/1000 Sci FFFE.

    Every player who has been clamoring for her.....

    31t7zcwdpf1l.jpg

    Never really understood the "prepare for ramming speed." What exactly is ramming speed? Is that like regular speed except on 11?

    Well, on the Defiant, that little thing that looks like a docked Shuttle is SOMETIMES an Anti-Matter Warhead. Supposedly.
    Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always thought of "Ramming Speed" to be a dramatic way of saying whatever maximum speed the ship can still manage, since it's probably damaged, and feel free to divert all power from whatever systems (life support, etc) because you're destroying the ship anyways and overload the engines if it'll help generate more thrust before impact.
  • Prime LorQa [10F]Prime LorQa [10F] ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought ramming speed was "maximum speed and don't ask me for a heading because you know darn well where I want you to steer."

    And yes, that is the speed at which I will obtain Reno. ;)
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hilarious how desired she is because I don't want her at all, regardless of the event type I'll be happily taking that weekend off
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11
    Yateball wrote: »
    I find it hilarious how desired she is because I don't want her at all, regardless of the event type I'll be happily taking that weekend off
    Have you seen Discovery season 2? She is so funny and great.

    Ramming speed does seem to just be ramming at full impulse. I would think going to warp and ramming at warp would be more destructive with the increase of velocity and would require preparation. Perhaps Worf wanted to do that. I would think regular ramming would not work in space, that the ships would bounce off each other more than crush each other but star trek disagrees.
    3oy8usrisapi.jpg
    3blivox2nyd7.jpg
    pxw1s0g2ig7p.jpg
    fdf4dopeeoi5.jpg


  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    I find it hilarious how desired she is because I don't want her at all, regardless of the event type I'll be happily taking that weekend off

    She’s one of the few truly well-written characters aside from Saru and perhaps Lorca or Mirror Georgiou. Even as relatively little screen time as she gets, Tig Notaro made the character both likable and memorable. If Stranded Reno is a 5*, it will be the only Disco 5* I’ve really wanted other than Killy, and should nail an important skill combo on top of that.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    The definition that is my headcanon, for Ramming Speed: Speed at which you no longer have time to change course before colliding with the target.

    But when one thinks about it, the laws of motion are not instantaneous, and there are things like Jerk and Jounce to consider.

    One does not simply walk into Ramming Speed.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember reading JMS talk about ramming speed in relation to B5 (the one where they go to ram the satellite) and someone asked the same question - his version was that for safety's sake an order like 'maximum speed' might generally be taken to mean the maximum speed possible while avoiding colliding with anything in the way, so you say "ramming speed" so there's no confusion and the helmsman knows the point is to hit the thing.

    There was also a Voyager novel (I forget the name, it was something to do with an alien empire that was the basis for all the myths about demons) where Voyager needed to destroy a moon or something and they're running various simulations of how they could do it, including ramming it, and the simulations of hitting it at impulse cause steadily more damage the faster they're going, but when they simulate hitting it at warp it basically just punches a smooth Voyager's-warp-field-shaped hole straight through and actually does much less damage than impulse where the ship is breaking apart and throwing debris out in all directions sideways as it goes in then detonating part-way as the antimatter containers breach. So that might be a factor in Star Trek ramming, if that's how we pretend hitting something at warp goes. Warp or not, given how good the computers are maybe they have a whole program dedicated to working out maximum damage possible on a given target that the helmsman can call up if given the order.
  • HasedokiHasedoki ✭✭✭
    It means the ensigns need to oar faster.
  • ChaoticDNAChaoticDNA ✭✭✭
    Hey aren't we missing a 4 or 5 star single skilled SCI card?
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12
    Kaitee wrote: »
    I vaguely remember reading JMS talk about ramming speed in relation to B5 (the one where they go to ram the satellite) and someone asked the same question - his version was that for safety's sake an order like 'maximum speed' might generally be taken to mean the maximum speed possible while avoiding colliding with anything in the way, so you say "ramming speed" so there's no confusion and the helmsman knows the point is to hit the thing.

    There was also a Voyager novel (I forget the name, it was something to do with an alien empire that was the basis for all the myths about demons) where Voyager needed to destroy a moon or something and they're running various simulations of how they could do it, including ramming it, and the simulations of hitting it at impulse cause steadily more damage the faster they're going, but when they simulate hitting it at warp it basically just punches a smooth Voyager's-warp-field-shaped hole straight through and actually does much less damage than impulse where the ship is breaking apart and throwing debris out in all directions sideways as it goes in then detonating part-way as the antimatter containers breach. So that might be a factor in Star Trek ramming, if that's how we pretend hitting something at warp goes. Warp or not, given how good the computers are maybe they have a whole program dedicated to working out maximum damage possible on a given target that the helmsman can call up if given the order.

    That brings up an interesting physics problem. Given what we know about how warp drive works, would it punch a clean hole? Would it punch a large and not-so-clean hole? Would it be even more catastrophic than impacting at high sublight speeds? I don’t remember enough Physics 251 to say for sure.
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Hey aren't we missing a 4 or 5 star single skilled SCI card?

    Please don’t give DB any ideas. :) Doctor Chapel is a nice collectible (and passable gauntleteer for the new player) and I adore Captain Scott’s ship abilities but a single-skill 5* crew would not go over well.
  • V.V. ✭✭✭
    well in star trek you are not actually going ftl. so the question would be - what does the collision with the warp field do?

    the best evidence suggests that the other ship would be drawn inside the warp field/distorted and maybe a warp bubble sized hole ripped into it. If the target were fairly small the ship inside the warp field doing the ramming might survive pretty much unscathed.



    RIKER : Mister Crusher, ready a collision course with the Borg ship

    Wesley reacts, turns and looks for confirmation...Repeating --

    RIKER You heard me. A collision course.

    WESLEY : Yessir.

    RIKER : Mister La Forge, prepare to go to warp power...
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • The real question is what did Worf think he was going to do ramming into the Borg Cube with the Defiant? I think he just wanted to die and didn’t care about his crew.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is what did Worf think he was going to do ramming into the Borg Cube with the Defiant? I think he just wanted to die and didn’t care about his crew.

    No, not at all. His ship was damaged such that the Borg cube would soon take it out. Rather than allow the Borg to blow up the Defiant and kill everyone on board Worf chose to ram the Borg cube and maybe do damage to it enough that others could destroy it. Worf was doing everything he could to protect the billions of people on Earth the Borg were about to assimilate or kill.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m sure her card would be a good mix of skills and stats, but man do I hate her character. I liked her on the first episode of season 2, but in her every appearance it’s just more of the same. She’s sarcastic and a jerk and makes anachronistic pop culture references she shouldn’t even know about.

    As if Discovery didn’t already have enough sarcastic jerks on the cast.

    I’m with you on this. I’m sure people don’t listen to ZZ Top way in the future. And she is a a jerk. Pompous too. Keeps reminding everyone she thinks they are stupid. I really liked season one but I believe season two really sank and she was the anchor that pulled that sink down fast. That and all the emotional stuff and the crying and the speeches.
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I’m sure her card would be a good mix of skills and stats, but man do I hate her character. I liked her on the first episode of season 2, but in her every appearance it’s just more of the same. She’s sarcastic and a jerk and makes anachronistic pop culture references she shouldn’t even know about.

    As if Discovery didn’t already have enough sarcastic jerks on the cast.

    I’m with you on this. I’m sure people don’t listen to ZZ Top way in the future. And she is a a jerk. Pompous too. Keeps reminding everyone she thinks they are stupid. I really liked season one but I believe season two really sank and she was the anchor that pulled that sink down fast. That and all the emotional stuff and the crying and the speeches.

    So you are saying if want to make a run for top 5, I don't have to worry about running up against you again :-)
    Task Force April now has openings! Lvl 130 Starbase! Task Force April is Looking for You!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I’m sure her card would be a good mix of skills and stats, but man do I hate her character. I liked her on the first episode of season 2, but in her every appearance it’s just more of the same. She’s sarcastic and a jerk and makes anachronistic pop culture references she shouldn’t even know about.

    As if Discovery didn’t already have enough sarcastic jerks on the cast.

    I’m with you on this. I’m sure people don’t listen to ZZ Top way in the future. And she is a a jerk. Pompous too. Keeps reminding everyone she thinks they are stupid. I really liked season one but I believe season two really sank and she was the anchor that pulled that sink down fast. That and all the emotional stuff and the crying and the speeches.

    So you are saying if want to make a run for top 5, I don't have to worry about running up against you again :-)

    Hey, what are you afraid of? You won!! But yes, correct. Unless she is COM/MED heavy I will sit back and watch the bloodbath

  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭

    That brings up an interesting physics problem. Given what we know about how warp drive works, would it punch a clean hole? Would it punch a large and not-so-clean hole? Would it be even more catastrophic than impacting at high sublight speeds? I don’t remember enough Physics 251 to say for sure.
    The answer is not too hard to work out. We all know that F=MA. A vessel travelling at light speed and impacting a relatively stationary object would have the value A as infinity, thus F would also become infinity and the mass is no longer relevant to the equation on the provision it is higher than 0.

    An office hole punch works by providing a large enough force on a small enough area of paper. we already know that the force is infinite, so we need to look at the distribution of force. This is dependant on how dense and how brittle the object being impacted would be.

    Let's take a gun and fire at 4 objects. a sheet of normal glass, a sheet of laminated glass (car windscreen), a block of wood and a chocolate cake. The normal glass would shatter to nothing. The laminated glass would have a bullet shaped hole, but a large area nearby would be splintered. The wood would have a bullet shaped hole and a smaller area of splintering. The cake would probably not even have a bullet shaped hole as it would close around the damaged area.

    Back to my original glass, should I want to make a bullet shaped hole, this would be possible with a slow tap tap tap, being extremely careful not to stress the glass. Thus ramming speed would depend heavily on the materials the object being rammed is made of and would differ every time. It would probably take a skilled pilot and a powerful computer to do the calculations needed to find the optimal speed for most damage.

    This is currently a genuine problem being faced by space agencies today. How to destroy an asteroid that is on a colission course with Earth. A rocket fired at the asteroid might simply pass straight through if the density is particularly low, or may break it into large chunks if it isn't particularly brittle.

    (p.s. I'm not including things like warp fields in this because they are fictional and I don't know the real world situation should a warp field be used.)
Sign In or Register to comment.