Anything new coming to Timelines?

By new I mean, new mechanics, event type or something to do with our crew.

I get the impression that the best we can hope for is QoL improvements. Does that mean that main development on the game is over and that we are in a kind of maintenance mode where DB just sell us a new picture every week?

Don't mean to be negative, I am enjoying the game even though I've been playing for nearly 3 years now. But I am wondering where we go from here?

I can do 10hr voyages regularly, but 12 hr voyages are not really plausible. I have earned the legendary in the last 40 consecutive events, I have 50 immortalised legendaries. This is not to brag, it's gotten a lot easier to raise that number in recent months. But I wonder now why I would want too many more? I have 2 unused legendary citations and 250k honor and no one pressing to cite.

Between campaigns and megaevents we can receive up to 18 immortals a year for minimum effort. It would be nice to have some more activities for these to do. I am happy to spend a few more $$ on this game, but recently I just haven't felt the need. Am I alone in feeling this way?
«1

Comments

  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do get bored. At this point I’m just waiting for events to pounce on. That’s where I get my game excitement. I was chasing an 11 hour voyage for a real long time which was exciting. Now that I got it there’s one thing that came off the this is cool list. But again, the thrill of going for first place in an event is exhilarating. You should try it
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The minute you walked in the joint, I could tell you were a..... lol


    Some of us are happy wit QoL improvements for now so that we can try to play a little catch up with gigantic marine mammals.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are definitely not alone. To be honest, I'm hopeful that the break this week is meant to perfect a new event type. I'm certainly up for some QoL improvements, but something else to engage with would be nice.

    I would also REALLY like a Gauntlet/Honor Hall character refresh. We are more than due for both.
  • barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    The minute you walked in the joint, I could tell you were a..... lol


    Some of us are happy wit QoL improvements for now so that we can try to play a little catch up with gigantic marine mammals.

    Speaking of which, how about a Xindi Aquatic, DB? :)
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    The minute you walked in the joint, I could tell you were a..... lol


    Some of us are happy wit QoL improvements for now so that we can try to play a little catch up with gigantic marine mammals.

    Speaking of which, how about a Xindi Aquatic, DB? :)

    Mmmmm sushi
  • I'm also concerned about this. I started in December and we haven't gotten anything new since I started other than passively acquiring goodies from campaigns(making dailies better) and two new episodes that are more of the same. It's not encouraging to see that there hasn't been any new type of active content in that time.
  • I'm not a whale, but I have spent a fair amount on the game in the three years that I've been playing.... and I'm pretty bored.

    At this point, I'm just trying to put some of my purchases to good use and I've actually stopped spending on anything other than campaigns. I don't even bother to try for the top 1500 in events anymore unless the 5* is going to add stars to an existing crew member (the previous event for example).

    I actually fell asleep whilst playing in the Arena a few days ago, and I awoke to find I'd still won the battle! lol
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to clarify that I am not bored. What I am worried about is that I have no incentive to spend money on the game. I don't buy 10 for 10s or Elusive Treasures. Some of that might be just I now know that they are aren't worth it, but I genuinely worry that the real reason is that I have come to the end of the content.

    I am very sympathetic to those that worry about more mandatory play. I don't bother myself with Gauntlet that much these days, I join about twice a week. In between events I often don't get the full dailies. I have (so far) made all of the campaigns, but I don't tend to buy the campaign until later in the month when I am sure I will make it.

    My main point is that it's been a long time since Voyages were added, which to me is the most important change that was made to the game, and the reason that I wanted to establish an advanced voyage crew. But now that that is broadly done, what's next?

    I don't consider myself a whale. I have bought packs etc over time and I'm happy to continue doing so if I have a reason to do so. I've been playing for a long time and have accrued a strong crew set in that time.

    I'm just worried that in a few months I will be bored, because it's been nothing but cosmetic changes for a while now.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I just want to clarify that I am not bored. What I am worried about is that I have no incentive to spend money on the game. I don't buy 10 for 10s or Elusive Treasures. Some of that might be just I now know that they are aren't worth it, but I genuinely worry that the real reason is that I have come to the end of the content.

    I am very sympathetic to those that worry about more mandatory play. I don't bother myself with Gauntlet that much these days, I join about twice a week. In between events I often don't get the full dailies. I have (so far) made all of the campaigns, but I don't tend to buy the campaign until later in the month when I am sure I will make it.

    My main point is that it's been a long time since Voyages were added, which to me is the most important change that was made to the game, and the reason that I wanted to establish an advanced voyage crew. But now that that is broadly done, what's next?

    I don't consider myself a whale. I have bought packs etc over time and I'm happy to continue doing so if I have a reason to do so. I've been playing for a long time and have accrued a strong crew set in that time.

    I'm just worried that in a few months I will be bored, because it's been nothing but cosmetic changes for a while now.

    Perhaps more cryo collections and more crew that you can fuse like cheesecake seven.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I just want to clarify that I am not bored. What I am worried about is that I have no incentive to spend money on the game. I don't buy 10 for 10s or Elusive Treasures. Some of that might be just I now know that they are aren't worth it, but I genuinely worry that the real reason is that I have come to the end of the content.

    I am very sympathetic to those that worry about more mandatory play. I don't bother myself with Gauntlet that much these days, I join about twice a week. In between events I often don't get the full dailies. I have (so far) made all of the campaigns, but I don't tend to buy the campaign until later in the month when I am sure I will make it.

    My main point is that it's been a long time since Voyages were added, which to me is the most important change that was made to the game, and the reason that I wanted to establish an advanced voyage crew. But now that that is broadly done, what's next?

    I don't consider myself a whale. I have bought packs etc over time and I'm happy to continue doing so if I have a reason to do so. I've been playing for a long time and have accrued a strong crew set in that time.

    I'm just worried that in a few months I will be bored, because it's been nothing but cosmetic changes for a while now.

    Perhaps more cryo collections and more crew that you can fuse like cheesecake seven.

    More loot, buffs & cool pixels are always welcome, but I agree with @Thurthorad . Something new, game-mechanisms wise, to actually do/play within the game would go a long way towards maintaining and/or renewing interest among some long-time players. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." -- Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I just want to clarify that I am not bored. What I am worried about is that I have no incentive to spend money on the game. I don't buy 10 for 10s or Elusive Treasures. Some of that might be just I now know that they are aren't worth it, but I genuinely worry that the real reason is that I have come to the end of the content.

    I am very sympathetic to those that worry about more mandatory play. I don't bother myself with Gauntlet that much these days, I join about twice a week. In between events I often don't get the full dailies. I have (so far) made all of the campaigns, but I don't tend to buy the campaign until later in the month when I am sure I will make it.

    My main point is that it's been a long time since Voyages were added, which to me is the most important change that was made to the game, and the reason that I wanted to establish an advanced voyage crew. But now that that is broadly done, what's next?

    I don't consider myself a whale. I have bought packs etc over time and I'm happy to continue doing so if I have a reason to do so. I've been playing for a long time and have accrued a strong crew set in that time.

    I'm just worried that in a few months I will be bored, because it's been nothing but cosmetic changes for a while now.

    Perhaps more cryo collections and more crew that you can fuse like cheesecake seven.

    More loot, buffs & cool pixels are always welcome, but I agree with @Thurthorad . Something new, game-mechanisms wise, to actually do/play within the game would go a long way towards maintaining and/or renewing interest among some long-time players. 🖖

    I would suggest making a big change to an existing thing like arena rather than adding a new thing. The more things in the game the higher the burnout. Unless something is added that is an either/or like something that offers the same reward as an existing thing and you get to choose which you do.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I just want to clarify that I am not bored. What I am worried about is that I have no incentive to spend money on the game. I don't buy 10 for 10s or Elusive Treasures. Some of that might be just I now know that they are aren't worth it, but I genuinely worry that the real reason is that I have come to the end of the content.

    I am very sympathetic to those that worry about more mandatory play. I don't bother myself with Gauntlet that much these days, I join about twice a week. In between events I often don't get the full dailies. I have (so far) made all of the campaigns, but I don't tend to buy the campaign until later in the month when I am sure I will make it.

    My main point is that it's been a long time since Voyages were added, which to me is the most important change that was made to the game, and the reason that I wanted to establish an advanced voyage crew. But now that that is broadly done, what's next?

    I don't consider myself a whale. I have bought packs etc over time and I'm happy to continue doing so if I have a reason to do so. I've been playing for a long time and have accrued a strong crew set in that time.

    I'm just worried that in a few months I will be bored, because it's been nothing but cosmetic changes for a while now.

    Perhaps more cryo collections and more crew that you can fuse like cheesecake seven.

    More loot, buffs & cool pixels are always welcome, but I agree with @Thurthorad . Something new, game-mechanisms wise, to actually do/play within the game would go a long way towards maintaining and/or renewing interest among some long-time players. 🖖

    I would suggest making a big change to an existing thing like arena rather than adding a new thing. The more things in the game the higher the burnout. Unless something is added that is an either/or like something that offers the same reward as an existing thing and you get to choose which you do.

    To be fair, Gauntlet is already like that. Don't like it, don't play it, it has absolutely no impact on the rest of your game experience. Surely, any new content can easily interface with the game the same way. Just don't put it in dailies and make sure the rewards are not seriously important for another game mode and Bob's your uncle!
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    The minute you walked in the joint, I could tell you were a..... lol


    Some of us are happy wit QoL improvements for now so that we can try to play a little catch up with gigantic marine mammals.

    As an over 3 yr player IMO this discussion is premature. The announcement about flashback events was pretty clear about giving the programming team some time to research, fix glitches, and change simple things (QOL) we ALL complain about or ask for. I say we back up and hold off until we see the end result. This is the first time for such a thing in the history of the game.
    And as for ppl complaining boredom..... some ppl have jobs. With all the separate timing of portions of the game it is difficult for some ppl to keep up daily. If anything new is in the works it should NOT be included in daily requirements to clear your board and earn accolades.

    I don't think it's premature at all. It has literally been years since we got a substantial new game mode. All they've done in trying to fix Gauntlet is adjust the loot tables. Collections and campaigns etc are great ideas and made people happy, but they didn't expand the gameplay in any serious way. Same for Campaigns, really just a top end on activities many were doing already.

    I am not someone who raced to the end of the game. There must be many 1000's of players with better rosters than I have. And those players are likely players who spend money. Developing more for them to do and spend money on seems like an obvious thing to ask about.
  • I t
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    I just want to clarify that I am not bored. What I am worried about is that I have no incentive to spend money on the game. I don't buy 10 for 10s or Elusive Treasures. Some of that might be just I now know that they are aren't worth it, but I genuinely worry that the real reason is that I have come to the end of the content.

    I am very sympathetic to those that worry about more mandatory play. I don't bother myself with Gauntlet that much these days, I join about twice a week. In between events I often don't get the full dailies. I have (so far) made all of the campaigns, but I don't tend to buy the campaign until later in the month when I am sure I will make it.

    My main point is that it's been a long time since Voyages were added, which to me is the most important change that was made to the game, and the reason that I wanted to establish an advanced voyage crew. But now that that is broadly done, what's next?

    I don't consider myself a whale. I have bought packs etc over time and I'm happy to continue doing so if I have a reason to do so. I've been playing for a long time and have accrued a strong crew set in that time.

    I'm just worried that in a few months I will be bored, because it's been nothing but cosmetic changes for a while now.

    I feel you, the game can feel a bit stale a lot of the time.

    It was great when Admiral Prince gave us a heads up a little over 2 years ago with some dev notes, but we have had no real updates from DB since then on current or future plans for the game.

    Last Communication was April 2018 and the Q&A with Admiral Prince, and the last actual Production Update that was shared with us seems to be November 2017. That's 18 months just since the Q&A, which nothing really noteworthy came from. (In computer development time, that's about 4 years!)

    Give us something to look forward to (and spending money on) DB!
    "When the Future becomes the past, the present will become unlocked."
  • @Thurthorad i do understand your concern for the game continuing to evolve and grow. No one wants it to fade away. Most of us enjoy our time spent in STT. Im just saying the flashback event to give programmers time to fix some stuff we have all asked for is valuable time spent doing what we asked.
    As some ppl have mentioned, we have asked for more collections, and i do agree the arena is horrible and boring. That could be replaced with something else. Over several months many players have suggested new ideas, upgrades, and fixes. I have been one of them. However 1 flashback for QOL improvements does not mean we are at the end of anything new. Thats why i say this conversation is premature and we should allow DB the time for programmers to fix things that are broken, upgrade existing things we have asked for, and then see what is coming next.
  • I would be for removing some things.....how freaking annoying is it that during a Skirmish event you do 100's if not 1000's of battles, only to be reminded that to complete your dailies, you have to go do 5 more? We know timers and the wait period on scans are there to get you log on and stay on/come back (web traffic = dollars), but come on man ;)
    Dear DB: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • However 1 flashback for QOL improvements does not mean we are at the end of anything new.

    We can expect more than one flashback event.
    Shan wrote:
    On Thursday, September 5, we will be changing things up a bit with the introduction of a flashback event, which is a second-run of an older event – in this case, Temporal Misalignment.

    Flashback events differ from reruns in that there will be no new crew.

    This directs to this being an ongoing addition if not even a replacement for reruns.
    Von wegen harmlos und flauschig! Die [Mirror] Tribbles rekrutieren wieder. Euch erwarten: Starbase lvl. 134, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft.
  • I don't think I've seen anyone specifically mention that this flashback event was announced pretty shortly after the forum post with a big collection of game QoL improvements were listed and voted on. Could be a coincidence of course, but the timing may suggest they're paying attention to me.
  • However 1 flashback for QOL improvements does not mean we are at the end of anything new.

    We can expect more than one flashback event.
    Shan wrote:
    On Thursday, September 5, we will be changing things up a bit with the introduction of a flashback event, which is a second-run of an older event – in this case, Temporal Misalignment.

    Flashback events differ from reruns in that there will be no new crew.

    This directs to this being an ongoing addition if not even a replacement for reruns.

    Yes. I am aware of Shan’s post. Im saying the first time of this is not the time to sound the alarm of STT downfall into nothing.

    And thats fine to do this. Myself and others have agreed pushing 3-5 new crew a week, and all programming resources going into that plus new events causes things that are glitchy to not get fixed, event fatigue/burnout on players, and no crew left to make new cards. If we want the game to survive we do need to slow down periodically.
    It gives newer players a chance to Catch up like a rerun, it gives vets a chance for recovery from event fatigue and stockpile supplies if they wish. It also gives vets a chance to “best” themselves if they want on rank. Thats always fun.
  • I don't think I've seen anyone specifically mention that this flashback event was announced pretty shortly after the forum post with a big collection of game QoL improvements were listed and voted on. Could be a coincidence of course, but the timing may suggest they're paying attention to me.

    Lol. I think they are paying attention to all of us, as your discussion was a compilation of many ppl’s ideas (alot are similar). Some suggestions/fixes/ideas have been discussed/ignored for a long time.
  • [Mirror] Sanoa[Mirror] Sanoa ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6
    However 1 flashback for QOL improvements does not mean we are at the end of anything new.

    We can expect more than one flashback event.
    Shan wrote:
    On Thursday, September 5, we will be changing things up a bit with the introduction of a flashback event, which is a second-run of an older event – in this case, Temporal Misalignment.

    Flashback events differ from reruns in that there will be no new crew.

    This directs to this being an ongoing addition if not even a replacement for reruns.

    Yes. I am aware of Shan’s post. Im saying the first time of this is not the time to sound the alarm of STT downfall into nothing.

    And thats fine to do this. Myself and others have agreed pushing 3-5 new crew a week, and all programming resources going into that plus new events causes things that are glitchy to not get fixed, event fatigue/burnout on players, and no crew left to make new cards. If we want the game to survive we do need to slow down periodically.
    It gives newer players a chance to Catch up like a rerun, it gives vets a chance for recovery from event fatigue and stockpile supplies if they wish. It also gives vets a chance to “best” themselves if they want on rank. Thats always fun.

    No, not like in a rerun without the 400k threshold.

    I just wanted to point out that to me it sounded like you considered it a "one-time-event" (even if this was not your intention) but it is likely not.
    Von wegen harmlos und flauschig! Die [Mirror] Tribbles rekrutieren wieder. Euch erwarten: Starbase lvl. 134, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem with db doing an easy event to do some programming to fix some issues. I think most coming up with ideas for DB are not being critical of DB doing an easy event.
  • One thing I do not understand given the goal of making $$$ is fixing the portal pulls. With the staggering number of cards, and the fact I have perhaps a dozen unfinished super rares that have made it to packs, I just do not buy packs anymore. I used to pounce on every 10 for 10, but now I automatically pass. They need to do something to restore something approaching the mid game value they used to have. You need to get something more useful than honor from 9 out of 10 pulls to make me chase that occasional legendary.
  • I am in a similar position to the OP, but I disagree with the game becoming boring.

    This Rerun event is probably my favorite thing that has happened. Not only was I able to stop at threshold last week, but the whales aren't as prevalent in this weeks event so getting the new gold will be easier.

    I stopped doing citations and started doing gold beholds(haven't got hit with a full set immed) and was able to obtain Killy and Honey Bear(only Dax I didn't have).

    I don't think DB has a money problem. Basically I pay a monthly subscription fee of $14 similar to when I played WoW. I would guess alot of whales have gone to a similar approach.

    We just had a portal update.

    The only thing I can complain about is they "fixed" the psychological evaluation hologram.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I’ve been thinking about this for a while and discussing it with some fellow dolphins.

    It is my current belief that the whalepocalyse has already occurred and that we dolphins are late to the party.

    Campaigns are a response to the fact that whales ran out of stuff to do and more importantly any reason to buy anything. Not that I don’t love the cheap stuff in campaigns, but I was really surprised that they were so affordable.

    I think campaigns are evidence that DB has stopped any serious development of this game and are just using it as a cash cow until eventually income drops below a certain threshold.

    I think there’s definitely further evidence in promising QoL updates over anything actually exciting coming. Again, QoL updates aren’t nothing but the lack of ambition is very disappointing.

    I’m now in that position too, still here, still mostly enjoying the game, but with nothing serious to spend money on. And with many players getting 18+ immortalised legendaries a year, it won’t be too long until most of the paying player base are in the same position. And what then?

Sign In or Register to comment.