Arena

KantKant ✭✭✭
Perhaps this is my best fight latelykd5x2iig46j9.jpg
«1

Comments

  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting ridiculous. I can’t win an arena battle to save my life. I slowly take down my opponents shields and hull and I have everything at full strength then one shot and I’m blown to bits.
  • Such is the pain of the Arena...
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.”
    —Mark Twain

    MEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are Recruiting

    Best Event Finish: #7 during Rule 125 Rerun

    619 Immortalized (Not Counting Duplicates)

    Honor Debt: Inconceivable, but maybe DB will take a personal check?
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arena feels less and less like ship battles and more like gauntlet with the walls of D'Kora Kraytons. Walls of just one thing.
  • Just dodge the attack of Killy-packed Kraytons by cloaking your T'Ong, and those walls aren't that overwhelming.
  • I switch between the NX-01, ISS Defiant and Shenzou from time to time. Though the NX is my main ship.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just dodge the attack of Killy-packed Kraytons by cloaking your T'Ong, and those walls aren't that overwhelming.

    Pretty much what works for me. If I manage to hit my cloak fast enough, I win 90% of the time.
  • Ice ManIce Man ✭✭✭
    Normally I prefer to use my T'Ong uncloaked, but what you say has a certain merit.
  • ChaoticDNAChaoticDNA ✭✭✭
    edited September 18
    Have one crew with a quick activating high value evasion. You'll survive the burst most (but not all) the time and once they've pretty easy pickings since they're built for burst.

    Worked ok for me.

    Full disclosure - I now run a D'kora with Mirror Spock, Locutus, RP Comm and Killy. Either I win quickly or lose. :)
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Have one crew with a quick activating high value evasion. You'll survive the burst most (but not all) the time and once they've pretty easy pickings since they're built for burst.

    Worked ok for me.

    Full disclosure - I now run a D'kora with Mirror Spock, Locutus, RP Comm and Killy. Either I win quickly or lose. :)

    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Evasion is a myth. It does nothing. I have Admiral Janeway to trigger right away and it affects nothing

  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Have one crew with a quick activating high value evasion. You'll survive the burst most (but not all) the time and once they've pretty easy pickings since they're built for burst.

    Worked ok for me.

    Full disclosure - I now run a D'kora with Mirror Spock, Locutus, RP Comm and Killy. Either I win quickly or lose. :)

    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Evasion is a myth. It does nothing. I have Admiral Janeway to trigger right away and it affects nothing

    It figures.
    I assume you have Janeway immortalized.
    Which ships are beating you?

    Try attacking other ships. Also on ship you lose too, look for what is common.

    I found in my Bounty that a D'Kora Krayton with a Locutus I lose to almost 100% of the time.

    Other D'Kora 's I beat almost 95% of the time.

    I assume you are most likely having problems with D'Kora Krayton. Mainly, because you cannot cloak. You may have to switch to a cloaking ship.
    But remember your D'Kora Krayton may be doing well defensively. But if you switch ships you may not do as well.

    If you do switch to a cloaking ship, remember against D'Kora Krayton to mash down on that cloak button. You have to get cloak to trigger as soon as possible.

    Also, for your D'Kora Krayton, remember you can click on more crew than one. It may be you need to get two to trigger at once to win.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Have one crew with a quick activating high value evasion. You'll survive the burst most (but not all) the time and once they've pretty easy pickings since they're built for burst.

    Worked ok for me.

    Full disclosure - I now run a D'kora with Mirror Spock, Locutus, RP Comm and Killy. Either I win quickly or lose. :)

    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Evasion is a myth. It does nothing. I have Admiral Janeway to trigger right away and it affects nothing

    It figures.
    I assume you have Janeway immortalized.
    Which ships are beating you?

    Try attacking other ships. Also on ship you lose too, look for what is common.

    I found in my Bounty that a D'Kora Krayton with a Locutus I lose to almost 100% of the time.

    Other D'Kora 's I beat almost 95% of the time.

    I assume you are most likely having problems with D'Kora Krayton. Mainly, because you cannot cloak. You may have to switch to a cloaking ship.
    But remember your D'Kora Krayton may be doing well defensively. But if you switch ships you may not do as well.

    If you do switch to a cloaking ship, remember against D'Kora Krayton to mash down on that cloak button. You have to get cloak to trigger as soon as possible.

    Also, for your D'Kora Krayton, remember you can click on more crew than one. It may be you need to get two to trigger at once to win.

    Yes, I gave that Krayton with Locutis a lot myself. And it crushes me. I’ve been using the Krayton since day one and don’t like change much. I’m the guy with the Krayton that has two Killy’s. I have Yarnek on my bridge for accuracy. Perhaps I should replace him with Locutus. I never fight the Poont’ang or anything with a cloak. Anything without a cloak or that’s not a Krayton I can easily destroy.

  • The past months many complaints, many suggestions. It has mentioned how tedious and boring the arena has become in general, within dailies, and during skirmish with so many battles you must go back to arena for dailies.
    My vote is take arena out of dailies. Then ppl who enjoy can play all they want, and ppl who dont enjoy can stop wasting time.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just dodge the attack of Killy-packed Kraytons by cloaking your T'Ong, and those walls aren't that overwhelming.

    They still get first hit though due to the activation of the D'Kora Krayton's special that reduces their Killies to 4 sec which is before the T'Ong cloak can activate. Sometimes all they need is first shot.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Have one crew with a quick activating high value evasion. You'll survive the burst most (but not all) the time and once they've pretty easy pickings since they're built for burst.

    Worked ok for me.

    Full disclosure - I now run a D'kora with Mirror Spock, Locutus, RP Comm and Killy. Either I win quickly or lose. :)

    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Evasion is a myth. It does nothing. I have Admiral Janeway to trigger right away and it affects nothing

    It figures.
    I assume you have Janeway immortalized.
    Which ships are beating you?

    Try attacking other ships. Also on ship you lose too, look for what is common.

    I found in my Bounty that a D'Kora Krayton with a Locutus I lose to almost 100% of the time.

    Other D'Kora 's I beat almost 95% of the time.

    I assume you are most likely having problems with D'Kora Krayton. Mainly, because you cannot cloak. You may have to switch to a cloaking ship.
    But remember your D'Kora Krayton may be doing well defensively. But if you switch ships you may not do as well.

    If you do switch to a cloaking ship, remember against D'Kora Krayton to mash down on that cloak button. You have to get cloak to trigger as soon as possible.

    Also, for your D'Kora Krayton, remember you can click on more crew than one. It may be you need to get two to trigger at once to win.

    Yes, I gave that Krayton with Locutis a lot myself. And it crushes me. I’ve been using the Krayton since day one and don’t like change much. I’m the guy with the Krayton that has two Killy’s. I have Yarnek on my bridge for accuracy. Perhaps I should replace him with Locutus. I never fight the Poont’ang or anything with a cloak. Anything without a cloak or that’s not a Krayton I can easily destroy.

    I guess you probably do not have Mirror Spock. Because I think he would be a better choice than yarnek. If possible, I would think replacing your evasion with Locutus might be the better choice.

    Not sure about seating for passive skills. However, both Spock and Locutus would be active before the Killy's .
    What I have noticed in arena is when the computer has multiple things occurring at same time, it picks the one at the left and proceeds to the right. It does not activate them all at once. So on defense with your current setup Yarnek should be the left most. With my suggested crew it would not matter.

    I went through my crew (a lot of my superrare are frozen though) only found two other crew with accuracy and init time less than 4, one is only a rare Commanding Officer Sisko the other is Colonel Q both have an init time of 3.
  • HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭
    My vote is take arena out of dailies. Then ppl who enjoy can play all they want, and ppl who dont enjoy can stop wasting time.

    Generally I agree but I think there are not many players who actually enjoy arena if they cannot win. If there are only players who like arena fights, they are also very good at it, and soon they will lose interest because everybody there is good.
    This way, when all of us have to play for dailies, there are enough bad captains so those who like it have enough competition to win fairly regularly.
    This very thread is proof of that as everybody is complaining that they are losing all the time. That is because there are too many that like arena and they are good at it.
    I don't care personally and I am playing for daily. I am always around 5k place and that is good enough for me.
    Interesting is that even though I don't really play, I just start battle and let it go on itself; I do not lose position in weeks now.
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16
    Can we get some more characters from TAS?
    Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress
    • Amanda Rogers got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    • Agmar
    USS NO - Join easy going fleet with Starbase lvl 122
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Have one crew with a quick activating high value evasion. You'll survive the burst most (but not all) the time and once they've pretty easy pickings since they're built for burst.

    Worked ok for me.

    Full disclosure - I now run a D'kora with Mirror Spock, Locutus, RP Comm and Killy. Either I win quickly or lose. :)

    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Evasion is a myth. It does nothing. I have Admiral Janeway to trigger right away and it affects nothing

    It figures.
    I assume you have Janeway immortalized.
    Which ships are beating you?

    Try attacking other ships. Also on ship you lose too, look for what is common.

    I found in my Bounty that a D'Kora Krayton with a Locutus I lose to almost 100% of the time.

    Other D'Kora 's I beat almost 95% of the time.

    I assume you are most likely having problems with D'Kora Krayton. Mainly, because you cannot cloak. You may have to switch to a cloaking ship.
    But remember your D'Kora Krayton may be doing well defensively. But if you switch ships you may not do as well.

    If you do switch to a cloaking ship, remember against D'Kora Krayton to mash down on that cloak button. You have to get cloak to trigger as soon as possible.

    Also, for your D'Kora Krayton, remember you can click on more crew than one. It may be you need to get two to trigger at once to win.

    Yes, I gave that Krayton with Locutis a lot myself. And it crushes me. I’ve been using the Krayton since day one and don’t like change much. I’m the guy with the Krayton that has two Killy’s. I have Yarnek on my bridge for accuracy. Perhaps I should replace him with Locutus. I never fight the Poont’ang or anything with a cloak. Anything without a cloak or that’s not a Krayton I can easily destroy.

    I guess you probably do not have Mirror Spock. Because I think he would be a better choice than yarnek. If possible, I would think replacing your evasion with Locutus might be the better choice.

    Not sure about seating for passive skills. However, both Spock and Locutus would be active before the Killy's .
    What I have noticed in arena is when the computer has multiple things occurring at same time, it picks the one at the left and proceeds to the right. It does not activate them all at once. So on defense with your current setup Yarnek should be the left most. With my suggested crew it would not matter.

    I went through my crew (a lot of my superrare are frozen though) only found two other crew with accuracy and init time less than 4, one is only a rare Commanding Officer Sisko the other is Colonel Q both have an init time of 3.

    I did notice lately that if I wait a split second before activating the second Killy it’s more effective. But many times in that split second is when I get toasted by one shot

  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just switched Locutus for Yarnek and won the first two. Perhaps accuracy is a myth as well
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    With Locutus you deal significantly more damage because Killy’s 400% is for +9 attack from Locutus. When you use just two Killys first 400% is just for +2 attack from power surge. And that difference can be defining.

    As for accuracy (or evasion) - from my experience I don’t think it’s a myth.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given all the Skirmish battles I’ve done with different crew and however many hundreds of Arena battles I did with different Bounty crew setups, I would strongly discount the idea that either accuracy or evasion are myths. Getting 400% of a higher base attack number is going to be a huge help - choosing the right crew and the right sequence in which they are activated makes all the difference.
  • edited September 19
    Lol at this thread. Gunderson you are absolutely right. Evasion is real, enemy hit rate is 65% with laborer spock vs 85% without him and with a third 400% instant damage. And Killy's attack+10 modifier triggers before her 400% instant damage hits. Absolutely silliness. My setup is Killy, Commandant, Culber, and Laborer Spock on the Dkora Krayton. All 4 characters give +10 modifiers at 4 seconds. Usually get about 105,000 to 120,000 credits each day with 7 to 8 battles ending inside the top5. Setup with spock outperforms the setup with an extra killy easily. jckyg0zhxn8q.jpg
    2nmproioqq5y.jpg
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I just switched Locutus for Yarnek and won the first two. Perhaps accuracy is a myth as well

    I think this again shows the importance of having higher attack before the first Killy is clicked. i know from arena and skirmish, the attack by instant crew is based on what the current attack strength is and not on that crews attack value.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set up seems to be working. Thank you for the advice. And I will never be convinced evasion is an actual thing
  • edited September 19
    Banjo it may just be admiral janeway that is bugged. I know there are some shield repairs that are bugged while other shield repairs work. I don't have her to test myself but Laborer Spock works 100%
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo it may just be admiral janeway that is bugged. I know there are some shield repairs that are bugged while other shield repairs work. I don't have her to test myself but Laborer Spock works 100%

    Perhaps that is it

  • Given all the Skirmish battles I’ve done with different crew and however many hundreds of Arena battles I did with different Bounty crew setups, I would strongly discount the idea that either accuracy or evasion are myths. Getting 400% of a higher base attack number is going to be a huge help - choosing the right crew and the right sequence in which they are activated makes all the difference.

    I'd only add one thing to this. This is a game of numbers - RANDOM numbers. An awesome build will win more than you lose, but sometimes that unbelievable Gauntlet result of their 5% critting you out of the park and your 65% not critting once?

    That'll happen in the Arena too. ;)
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Given all the Skirmish battles I’ve done with different crew and however many hundreds of Arena battles I did with different Bounty crew setups, I would strongly discount the idea that either accuracy or evasion are myths. Getting 400% of a higher base attack number is going to be a huge help - choosing the right crew and the right sequence in which they are activated makes all the difference.

    I'd only add one thing to this. This is a game of numbers - RANDOM numbers. An awesome build will win more than you lose, but sometimes that unbelievable Gauntlet result of their 5% critting you out of the park and your 65% not critting once?

    That'll happen in the Arena too. ;)

    I had this happen about a week ago. My 65% Locutus, no crits. 5% opponent, three crits. Lost

  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaoticDNA wrote: »
    Given all the Skirmish battles I’ve done with different crew and however many hundreds of Arena battles I did with different Bounty crew setups, I would strongly discount the idea that either accuracy or evasion are myths. Getting 400% of a higher base attack number is going to be a huge help - choosing the right crew and the right sequence in which they are activated makes all the difference.

    I'd only add one thing to this. This is a game of numbers - RANDOM numbers. An awesome build will win more than you lose, but sometimes that unbelievable Gauntlet result of their 5% critting you out of the park and your 65% not critting once?

    That'll happen in the Arena too. ;)

    Unquestionably - my biggest Arena gripe is how often instant-damage attacks miss for me. It’s not a problem in Skirmish battles, thankfully, just the Arena. I have a good accuracy booster and still there are multiple battles in a week where I go 1 for 3 or 0 for 3 on instant-damage attacks. What keeps me from having trouble maintaining rank is a good evasion option, which I also now use in the Captain division...going from struggling to remain in the top 3000 there to never falling below 1500 and actually being able to win more than once a week made a huge difference.
  • Evasion and Accuracy are most definitely not a myth. Just because you have Evasion higher than your opponent's Accuracy doesn't mean that you'll never be hit. Thank the good ole DBNG.

    Others are correct about their timing observations - the defending ship always activates a little slower and performs actions from left to right. Also, while it historically seemed like burst attack characters used to get their own Attack boost (if they are Attack boost), this no longer seems to be the case. Specifically, you'll notice that the level boost seems to lag behind the attack animation. Hence why a Locutus staffed Krayton tends to be superior to a non-Locutus Krayton.

    That said, it's difficult to say what's happening with Admiral division for sure because there is such diversity of crew line ups. Passive boosts can make a real difference.

    I base my observations primarily on the Captain division as it's largely the same opponent line up every time. I run an Evasion build in contrast to the typical T'Mir line up. It's around 50/50 that T'Mir's burst attack hits, even with a quicker Evasion activation (that is obviously superior to the opponent's Accuracy). Meanwhile, waiting for a crew to boost Attack and letting the animation finish before using a burst attack crew makes a significant difference in outcome.
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    I think evasion might look like it does nothing because accuracy has more impact. I mean if accuracy is two times the opponent’s evasion - the chance of hit is 94%, but if evasion is two times the opponent’s accuracy - the chance of miss significantly lower than 94% (only 52% )

    Regarding activation of abilities from left to right - just want to add that it takes into account base activation timers. If, for example, Krayton has Killy on the leftmost battle station and Scotty to the right, Scotty is activated before Killy even though after power surge they’re both ready to go.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a few days I can safely say Locutus has made all the difference in the world. Thanks for the tip y’all!
Sign In or Register to comment.