Home The Bridge

New 4* in Vault - Transporter Chief Rand

robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
s1f643w9maw0.png
«1

Comments

  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!!! I always thought she deserved more than one star
  • So what's the theme, TMP? Kolinahr Spock, Ilia Probe, Lt. Com Uhura, Drafted McCoy, Lt. Chekov, and this new Rand?
  • RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that you mention it, the chief’s career path IS kinda bonkers. For that matter, how do you go from transporter chief to the equivalent of Chief Engineer on an entire space station? And wasn’t he initially a helmsman on the Enterprise? So many questions.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    s1f643w9maw0.png

    It wasn't her fault. There was nothing she could do.

    Keep calm & October 15th!!!!!
  • Speaking of transporter chiefs, I was rewatching the TNG episode The Wounded and in it we see Transporter Chief O'Brien's former captain, Captain Maxwell, and Maxwell says that O'Brien was his tactical officer on the Rutledge. The best he ever had. So O'Brien had a job equivalent to Worf's as tactical officer and then he goes from a role of importance to being the dummy that spends 8 hours a day standing in a tiny room with no windows doing almost nothing unless someone is getting beamed over and he is not even give a chair to sit in. It isn't even the only transporter bay on the Enterprise. What a sucky job for someone so talented. We then see in DS9 he is chief engineer of the whole station and that his engineering skills are second to none. But we never saw him helping Lt. Commander LaForge in engineering even when the whole ship was severely damaged and time was critical. The Enterprise clearly did not utilize the chief well at all which likely is the blame of Riker as he assigns duty shifts. So the question is, why did Riker hate Chief O'Brien? Did Riker secretely love Keiko and was mad that she ended up with O'Brien? Did O'Brien once sit in Riker's chair or hit on Troi before he was with Keiko? Can O'Brien secretely play the trombone song Night Bird perfectly which just rubs Riker the wrong way?

    If you like this line of thinking, you will love this online comic about Chief O'Brien:
    https://chiefobrienatwork.com/
    It explores all the issues you mentioned, and more.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Career Development/Promoted"

    inuwiedy3ygn.jpg
    5cy8n3iysjb4.jpg

    Keep calm & October 15th!!!!!
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of underdeveloped O'Brien...
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t ever remember Rand being hideous. This must be from a movie. Never got into the movies
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I don’t ever remember Rand being hideous. This must be from a movie. Never got into the movies

    TMP, To be honest it's a difficult watch for me even as a lifelong ST fan. But you need to see it at least once.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pulled once. Got Rand. Also got T'Pol (already 4/4), Mutated Paris and two needed 5* ships. Can't complain.
    VIP 10 - 215 Crew Slots - 495 Immortals
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I don’t ever remember Rand being hideous. This must be from a movie. Never got into the movies

    TMP, To be honest it's a difficult watch for me even as a lifelong ST fan. But you need to see it at least once.

    I’ve tried the original movies and TNG movies. They just are very sub par Star Trek to me. I can’t watch one all the way through
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I don’t ever remember Rand being hideous. This must be from a movie. Never got into the movies

    TMP, To be honest it's a difficult watch for me even as a lifelong ST fan. But you need to see it at least once.

    I’ve tried the original movies and TNG movies. They just are very sub par Star Trek to me. I can’t watch one all the way through

    Not even ST:IV???

    Death to the blasphemer!

    The one with the whales? That was god awful!!

  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. 2/3 4* are FFE. But I want Rand. Decisions Decisions. Better to close the wallet.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • I really want Tactical Officer Neelix, but I already have Jadzia FF... tough decision. Got two packs, two Rands. Could have been way worse
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I don’t ever remember Rand being hideous. This must be from a movie. Never got into the movies

    TMP, To be honest it's a difficult watch for me even as a lifelong ST fan. But you need to see it at least once.

    I’ve tried the original movies and TNG movies. They just are very sub par Star Trek to me. I can’t watch one all the way through

    Not even ST:IV???

    Death to the blasphemer!

    The one with the whales? That was god awful!!

    I will fight you and anyone who "awesomes" your post.

    What's next? Are you going to insufficiently praise STII?!?!?!

    Not at all. They were all bad

  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, the chief’s career path IS kinda bonkers. For that matter, how do you go from transporter chief to the equivalent of Chief Engineer on an entire space station? And wasn’t he initially a helmsman on the Enterprise? So many questions.

    The root of the problem is that he is one of only a handful of non-commissioned officers we ever see in all of Trek and the only one who ends up being a main character. We just don’t have a good handle on how enlisted ranks are handled in Starfleet. It could be that enlisted crew have a shortened time at the Academy with a narrower focus of their studies, that they have limited terms of service (four years, for example) that they are not obligated to renew (though Starfleet’s allowances for retirement/sabbaticals seem quite generous anyway given what happened with McCoy, Spock, and Sisko), and/or that they are simply regular officers who intend to never go onto any sort of command track.

    Arguments could be made that his singular talents with transporter tech meant that he got slotted into the transporter chief role (perhaps in combination with a lack of billets elsewhere in engineering) or that he only temporarily took over as the backup flight controller during Encounter at Farpoint because they were short-staffed, that he was always the transporter chief and was moved to the bridge due to his (field?) promotion to tactical officer on the Rutledge.

    And when it came to being declared the Chief Engineer of DS9, they probably looked at his whole body of work and felt that even as an NCO that he would be the best person for the job, over engineering officers with less jury-rigging talent or exposure to Cardassian systems.
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    yay thanks for another TMP crew Shan and crew!! Believe it or not, suddenly we have (TMP-ish versions of) six of these legends in game:

    851dda2fc95abb25adc075a2bb99a4c0.jpg

    maybe you're saving Badmiral Kirk and Jury Rigger Spock and Real Ilia for a TMP 40th anniversary Mega in December?? :)
  • IvlainIvlain ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought O'Brien took the DS9 job because no one else wanted it.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have preferred this version(Mirror) of her instead :)

    6y92n8glarpn.jpeg

    Mirror Randy

  • Isle OneIsle One ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    pcd4cvn6gcrn.png
    Shouldn’t her profile quote be “Pull Them Back” instead of “Yank Them Back”?
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rocpile wrote: »
    Speaking of transporter chiefs, I was rewatching the TNG episode The Wounded and in it we see Transporter Chief O'Brien's former captain, Captain Maxwell, and Maxwell says that O'Brien was his tactical officer on the Rutledge. The best he ever had. So O'Brien had a job equivalent to Worf's as tactical officer and then he goes from a role of importance to being the dummy that spends 8 hours a day standing in a tiny room with no windows doing almost nothing unless someone is getting beamed over and he is not even give a chair to sit in. It isn't even the only transporter bay on the Enterprise. What a sucky job for someone so talented. We then see in DS9 he is chief engineer of the whole station and that his engineering skills are second to none. But we never saw him helping Lt. Commander LaForge in engineering even when the whole ship was severely damaged and time was critical. The Enterprise clearly did not utilize the chief well at all which likely is the blame of Riker as he assigns duty shifts. So the question is, why did Riker hate Chief O'Brien? Did Riker secretely love Keiko and was mad that she ended up with O'Brien? Did O'Brien once sit in Riker's chair or hit on Troi before he was with Keiko? Can O'Brien secretely play the trombone song Night Bird perfectly which just rubs Riker the wrong way?

    If you like this line of thinking, you will love this online comic about Chief O'Brien:
    https://chiefobrienatwork.com/
    It explores all the issues you mentioned, and more.

    Haha, that is very good and funny. Thx for the suggestion.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well today's were an easy pass on packs, meh new crew and already immortal 5 *'s
  • Banjo1012 wrote: »
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I don’t ever remember Rand being hideous. This must be from a movie. Never got into the movies

    TMP, To be honest it's a difficult watch for me even as a lifelong ST fan. But you need to see it at least once.

    I’ve tried the original movies and TNG movies. They just are very sub par Star Trek to me. I can’t watch one all the way through

    Funny how different tastes can be. I'd say that the original cast TOS movies are probably my favorite Star Trek thing (tied with TOS and DS9), meanwhile Enterprise has always been my least favorite series.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I don’t ever remember Rand being hideous. This must be from a movie. Never got into the movies

    TMP, To be honest it's a difficult watch for me even as a lifelong ST fan. But you need to see it at least once.

    I’ve tried the original movies and TNG movies. They just are very sub par Star Trek to me. I can’t watch one all the way through

    Funny how different tastes can be. I'd say that the original cast TOS movies are probably my favorite Star Trek thing (tied with TOS and DS9), meanwhile Enterprise has always been my least favorite series.

    Funny too that we do seem to have totally opposite tastes yet we both agree that overall Star Trek is awesome!!

Sign In or Register to comment.