Home Strange New Worlds

GREAT moment in Star Trek History

8odhsolka01o.jpg
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
«1

Comments

  • Maybe this was the better angle :wink:tcoo5g09ug9e.jpg
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that Stammy? I guess he broke a lot of gurl hearts with that kiss. ^^
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Don't forget
    profitandlace_600.jpg
  • So not the first, but the first that wasn't played for laughs.

    I am reminded that Shatner says Kirk and Uhura wasn't actually the first interracial kiss on US TV on the grounds that in the take that was used they didn't actually kiss.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpyOne wrote: »
    So not the first, but the first that wasn't played for laughs.

    I am reminded that Shatner says Kirk and Uhura wasn't actually the first interracial kiss on US TV on the grounds that in the take that was used they didn't actually kiss.

    Nichelle Nichols in her memoir (https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0399139931/ref=nosim/theagonybooth-20)
    and other places has disagreed with both sides on a number of points.

    1) She states they did kiss

    http://www.agonybooth.com/tvs-first-interracial-kiss-star-trek-27382

    2) She states that interracial means more than just African/Caucasian.

    (I trust her, talked with her about it in person at a recent con.)

    Desi Arnez was Hispanic and kissed his Caucasian wife many times on TV as much as 10 years before Star Trek. (Though Desilu studios was where Star Trek was filmed..hmmm)

    And there were several instances of Asian folks kissing other races, notably in I Spy.

    Edit: Did some searching and looks like the UK had already crossed the African/Caucasian threshold years before Star Trek, just only on UK TV.

    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/nov/20/tv-archive-discovers-couple-who-beat-kirk-and-uhara-to-first-interracial-kiss


    So really, it was important as it was for the longest time the touchstone of folks wanting tolerance and acceptance of interracial relationships, but it, like the Discovery moment, not what folks are advertising it to be as the trail already had a few people on it.

  • Also, Nancy Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. kissed in the 1967 musical-variety special Movin' with Nancy.
    Before that, Anne Bancroft kissed Sidney Poitier (albeit on the cheek) in the 1964 televised Academy Awards.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let’s not forget Sammy Davis, Jr. kissed Archie Bunker. I know it was after all this but hey. My attempt at comedy
  • Wasn't Sammy Davis Jr also the first black actor to play the lead in a TV show?
    IIRC it was one if those shows like Twilight Zone that did a complete cast change every week but this one in the 50s, and it was basically a one-man-show about a soldier.
  • Pallidyne wrote: »

    Nichelle Nichols in her memoir (https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0399139931/ref=nosim/theagonybooth-20)
    and other places has disagreed with both sides on a number of points.

    1) She states they did kiss

    http://www.agonybooth.com/tvs-first-interracial-kiss-star-trek-27382

    2) She states that interracial means more than just African/Caucasian.

    (I trust her, talked with her about it in person at a recent con)
    1) I agree that she is a more reliable source than he is, for a number of reasons.
    2) just in case I wasn't clear, Shatner doesn't deny that they kissed. He said that the scene was shot several times, and in some they kissed and in others they only mimicked kissing. And that the one that was used was one of the takes where they didn't kiss.
    IIRC the kiss as aired is shot from two angles and in both of them one of their heads is in the way so one can't tell with certainty if their lips touch.
    Then again, this is theater, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually kiss, but it was very clear that their characters kissed, which is the important part.


  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpyOne wrote: »
    Pallidyne wrote: »

    Nichelle Nichols in her memoir (https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0399139931/ref=nosim/theagonybooth-20)
    and other places has disagreed with both sides on a number of points.

    1) She states they did kiss

    http://www.agonybooth.com/tvs-first-interracial-kiss-star-trek-27382

    2) She states that interracial means more than just African/Caucasian.

    (I trust her, talked with her about it in person at a recent con)
    1) I agree that she is a more reliable source than he is, for a number of reasons.
    2) just in case I wasn't clear, Shatner doesn't deny that they kissed. He said that the scene was shot several times, and in some they kissed and in others they only mimicked kissing. And that the one that was used was one of the takes where they didn't kiss.
    IIRC the kiss as aired is shot from two angles and in both of them one of their heads is in the way so one can't tell with certainty if their lips touch.
    Then again, this is theater, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't actually kiss, but it was very clear that their characters kissed, which is the important part.


    She also mentioned in her memoirs that Shatner supposedly was the one who destroyed the other non-kiss takes. Kinda envisioning him as a young rebel is amusing me now.
  • ScientistScientist ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Oh I guess I stopped watching this show before that "GREAT moment".
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scientist wrote: »
    Oh I guess I stopped watching this show before that "GREAT moment".

    And we're all so very glad you chimed in for the sole purpose of voicing your not-so-subtle disapproval of two men kissing.

    /s


    Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Scientist wrote: »
    Oh I guess I stopped watching this show before that "GREAT moment".

    And we're all so very glad you chimed in for the sole purpose of voicing your not-so-subtle disapproval of two men kissing.

    /s

    Could be worse. Had a customer go full tinfoil hat on me earlier this week about how the pedophile agenda was trying to keep white, straight men out of tv shows. Wasn't really expecting it out of that person either.
    VIP 10 - 215 Crew Slots - 495 Immortals
  • ScientistScientist ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Scientist wrote: »
    Oh I guess I stopped watching this show before that "GREAT moment".

    And we're all so very glad you chimed in for the sole purpose of voicing your not-so-subtle disapproval of two men kissing.

    /s

    You're welcome. Would you like some more SJW flavored Kool-Aid? This moment was pretty good too.

    yz6p90lqhoz0.jpg
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scientist wrote: »
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Scientist wrote: »
    Oh I guess I stopped watching this show before that "GREAT moment".

    And we're all so very glad you chimed in for the sole purpose of voicing your not-so-subtle disapproval of two men kissing.

    /s

    You're welcome. Would you like some more SJW flavored Kool-Aid? This moment was pretty good too.

    yz6p90lqhoz0.jpg

    Oooo interspecies... nice touch! (Not what you were going for I know...)
  • ScientistScientist ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Pallidyne wrote: »

    Oooo interspecies... nice touch! (Not what you were going for I know...)

    As long as you fully understand. I ignored your sarcasm Mr. SJW.
  • It's good to see Star Trek catching up.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Scientist wrote: »
    Pallidyne wrote: »

    Oooo interspecies... nice touch! (Not what you were going for I know...)

    As long as you fully understand. I ignored your sarcasm Mr. SJW.

    Just call me Rainbow Coalition Rick, and I'll call you Mr R Coltraine

  • edited February 2018
    4Bwngqj.gif
    Not kissing, but definitely one of the best Star Trek moments.
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

    Check out my ‘Characters’ thread on the holodeck!

    Currently XO of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 82
    Played since January 2017

    Call me Colli!
  • DS9 had a number of moments, but since they were all woman-to-woman and usually not as direct as above with Stament &Culbert (Dax not withstanding,) they are barely remembered.
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Scientist wrote: »
    Oh I guess I stopped watching this show before that "GREAT moment".

    And we're all so very glad you chimed in for the sole purpose of voicing your not-so-subtle disapproval of two men kissing.

    /s

    The comment suggested that they gave up on the show before the kiss rather than because of the kiss.

    Perhaps we shouldn't jump to judgement on why they gave up on the show!
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, here we go again. Thanks for digging up this 3-month-old thread, The Collective!


    Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • edited February 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Well, here we go again. Thanks for digging up this 3-month-old thread, The Collective!
    My pleasure, Data. I’m sure you enjoyed stroking Riker’s chin. LOL

    4Bwngqj.gif
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

    Check out my ‘Characters’ thread on the holodeck!

    Currently XO of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 82
    Played since January 2017

    Call me Colli!
  • 3 great moments: Vulcan wiped out by a singularity in Kelvin timeline. Finding out Lorca was Mirror Lorca. Spock speaking to Stonn that "having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    How is the destruction of Vulcan 'great'? Do we revel is misery now?

    That's like touting the destruction of Alderaan in Star Wars, calling it a wonderful climactic thing!
  • It’s a great moment because it was shocking. How often does that happen in Star Trek. It’s great moment knowing that anything different can happen in the Kelvin timeline. Unfortunately it’s being wasted with terrible story writers.

    I Guess the Death Star destroying a uninhabited asteroid or moon to demostrate it’s full power would be a great moment in Star Wars.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a great moment because it was shocking. How often does that happen in Star Trek. It’s great moment knowing that anything different can happen in the Kelvin timeline. Unfortunately it’s being wasted with terrible story writers.

    I Guess the Death Star destroying a uninhabited asteroid or moon to demostrate it’s full power would be a great moment in Star Wars.

    Um Alderaan was a fully populated planet that was used as a test target, it was actually Princess Leia's homeworld.

    Yes that is shocking, but 'great'. Wow.

    Revel in the misery and destruction and death.

    Rock on.
  • Pallidyne wrote: »
    It’s a great moment because it was shocking. How often does that happen in Star Trek. It’s great moment knowing that anything different can happen in the Kelvin timeline. Unfortunately it’s being wasted with terrible story writers.

    I Guess the Death Star destroying a uninhabited asteroid or moon to demostrate it’s full power would be a great moment in Star Wars.

    Um Alderaan was a fully populated planet that was used as a test target, it was actually Princess Leia's homeworld.

    Yes that is shocking, but 'great'. Wow.

    Revel in the misery and destruction and death.

    Rock on.
    Thanks you helped reconsider my position.
    Two people kissing GREAT moment! So rarely seen. EPIC! Awesome just awesome. I revel in it.
    The end of Vulcan changing all future storylines not great. Hopefully we can see all old stories redone like Khan.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    It’s a great moment because it was shocking. How often does that happen in Star Trek. It’s great moment knowing that anything different can happen in the Kelvin timeline. Unfortunately it’s being wasted with terrible story writers.

    I Guess the Death Star destroying a uninhabited asteroid or moon to demostrate it’s full power would be a great moment in Star Wars.

    Um Alderaan was a fully populated planet that was used as a test target, it was actually Princess Leia's homeworld.

    Yes that is shocking, but 'great'. Wow.

    Revel in the misery and destruction and death.

    Rock on.
    Thanks you helped reconsider my position.
    Two people kissing GREAT moment! So rarely seen. EPIC! Awesome just awesome. I revel in it.
    The end of Vulcan changing all future storylines not great. Hopefully we can see all old stories redone like Khan.

    For some it is the expression of social progression when those who were ostracized or otherwise mistreated are displayed as normal.

    Many treat the kiss between Kirk and Uhura (though their characters were supposedly under duress) as a momentous occasion due to them being of different races. It made newspapers, and more than a few TV stations refused to carry it as they would not support the mixing of races.

    So it is in some folks views momentous as it is a milestone in social progression of tolerance and acceptance.

    What does planet go boom get us that is actually positive in any way shape or form for the audience? A new plot device. Cool. Entertaining plot twist.
    Put that up there with Genesis Planet Creation/Spock Death, V'Ger is really an earth satellite, Advent of Locutus, Praxis go boom, a cloaked bird of prey that can fire, and Worf has a kid.

    Yeah Into Darkness goes Khan again, just like Nemesis did. No milestones there either. Doesn't mean that makes Vulcan go boom a 'GREAT' moment.

    To quote LeVar Butron, Star Trek is at it's best when it "Says something" (He's used that phrase several times over the years.) In context of the Kelvin Timeline, he used that phrase when he stated he would not be making any cameos in said films.



Sign In or Register to comment.