Home Engineering Room

Excessive CPU/GPU utilization simply by starting the game. [TMIR_GPU]

This thread has been started based on a request from Shan. You can find some previous communications on this issue by searching for TMIR_GPU in the forums.

Description of issue
We've all seen it or felt it. We start the game and get through the welcome ads. But even if you don't do ANYTHING else in the game you notice that your PC fans start to run or your mobile device starts to heat. This means we are all wasting money paying for electricity to run these devices while the game wastes resources. We can't play for as long on our mobile devices because the battery drains so quickly. There's also wear and tear on your equipment that we shouldn't have to incur.

On Windows you can see the excessive GPU load by using Task Manager.

I've been trying to get this defect prioritized by posting to the forums. I'm getting nowhere fast and I need your help. If you've encountered this problem (hey it's easy to reproduce -- you just need to start the game and wait) please add a followup post to this one indicating that you have this issue too. Maybe if enough players report they have the same issue we can get the devs to fix it and we can move on to other things.

Thanks
T'Mir

Comments

• TMirTMir ✭✭
    SHAN: Weeks have passed. Could you please provide an update? Thanks
  • ShanShan admin
    TMir wrote: »

I do not have an update at this time.
    When I do have one I will provide it.
  • TMirTMir ✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    TMir wrote: »

I do not have an update at this time.
    When I do have one I will provide it.

Hmm. I'm interested in hearing the results of the conversation that occurred at the feedback review session.

Perhaps you could get a fix into 8.2.0 for this issue and add it to your list of "bug fixes and quality of life changes"?

I've also been thinking about workarounds for you if the scale of the issue is too large to address: add a setting to disable all background animations. This setting would not disable game related timers or other markers -- just the background animations not strictly necessary for game play. There is precedent for this setting as I can disable all game sounds.

Cheers,
    T'Mir
  • TMirTMir ✭✭
    Shan: It has been almost 6 weeks and the client update is coming soon. Any progress on this item? Yet?

Cheers
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    The phone and my Kindles both get hot.

I know my mobile data is metered and Timelines eats a lot of it. I haven't played it on the phone recently, so I can't screenshot the data use, but eats it pretty fast.
    W.W. Carlisle
    Played since January 20, 2019
    Captain Level- 90 (September 2021)
    VIP 14
    Crew Quarters: 445/445 +5
    Most recent/Lowest- EDF Adira (1/5* Lvl 30) 10/8/21
    Immortalized x-570+ 5* x47, 4* x360, 3* x90, 2* x56, and 1* x27
    Most recent Immortal - Geskana Tucker 4* 10/7/21
    Current non-event project- Improving my Medical skill, core and proficiency, and freeing slots by immortalizing my FF MED crew and freezing the unhelpful- only 4 to go! The Keeper, Apollo, Bajoran Culber, and Desert Jake Sisko. Science will be next.
  • There should be improvements for the Windows 10 client but that is the only update I have at this time.
  • Weirdly enough i have this on my Lenovo legion laptop from work.
    Start the game and my fans go spinning and i do see temperatures on my GPU rise with OpenHardwareMonitor and of course the fans go full speed.
    But my personal pc with an old cheap graphics card i bought solly to have a hdmi port, runs the game much smoother.

Legion: NVidia GeForce GTX 16000 Ti
    Old card: Nvidia GeForce 210 1gb (MSI)
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Kindle is currently cooling down. I hope it helps with the bouncing. My Kindle 8 and phone both aren't doing space battles correctly currently.
    W.W. Carlisle
    Played since January 20, 2019
    Captain Level- 90 (September 2021)
    VIP 14
    Crew Quarters: 445/445 +5
    Most recent/Lowest- EDF Adira (1/5* Lvl 30) 10/8/21
    Immortalized x-570+ 5* x47, 4* x360, 3* x90, 2* x56, and 1* x27
    Most recent Immortal - Geskana Tucker 4* 10/7/21
    Current non-event project- Improving my Medical skill, core and proficiency, and freeing slots by immortalizing my FF MED crew and freezing the unhelpful- only 4 to go! The Keeper, Apollo, Bajoran Culber, and Desert Jake Sisko. Science will be next.
  • TMirTMir ✭✭
    My guess is that there are no throttles on the frame rate for animations. So, if you have a better graphics card it will generate more frames per second and generate more heat doing so.
  • TMirTMir ✭✭
    Shan:
    Happy to report that v8.2.0 is much better with regards to the GPU load. While I still see bursts of ~35% utilization I also see moments when the load is 0%! My fans are quiet once again!

Please accept my thanks for getting this issue addressed and extend a hearty "job well done" to the dev(s) that developed and implemented the fix.

I just wish we could have agreed that something needed to be done sooner rather than later. Maybe next time...

Cheers,
    T'Mir
  • TMir wrote: »
    Shan:
    Happy to report that v8.2.0 is much better with regards to the GPU load. While I still see bursts of ~35% utilization I also see moments when the load is 0%! My fans are quiet once again!

Please accept my thanks for getting this issue addressed and extend a hearty "job well done" to the dev(s) that developed and implemented the fix.

I just wish we could have agreed that something needed to be done sooner rather than later. Maybe next time...

Cheers,
    T'Mir

Thank you for reporting back on this :)