Key information about the event: Triple Threat (rerun) - 01/04

1234568

Comments

  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I think that's the bigger problem. If you complain about not liking Voyager or Janeway, you get called sexist (even if you're a woman apparently) and similarly if you don't like Discovery you get "but they had a gay couple, and said the f word, and the main character's a black woman" as if I'm supposed to like the show just because it's inclusive, which is annoying.

    DS9 wasn't good because Sisko was black, it was good because it was good. The fact that a great sci-fi show was led by a black captain is an important thing in and of itself, but that's not what actually made the show great.

    EDIT: For the record I don't like Discovery because it messes with the continuity way too much, the Klingon make-up is bad, and I find the whole spore drive thing silly. Also it doesn't have any Star Trek vibes to it, but I realise that's a personal taste thing.

    +100 to this.

    While STD production value is great, the Orc makeup is horrible, inflexible, and inexpressive. There is almost no character development or character depth. T the show is an action movie and not a star trek episodic (or even soap opera like DS9). The whole thing just doesn't fit in with star trek TV, and is too drawn out to fit in with the action movies.
    And the SJW bullcrap thrown in for the sake of Political Correctness (the USSR and Nazi and North Koreen regimes were also politically correct) is just irksome.

    Sure, Sisko was black in DS9. So? We didn't have to make a big deal about it, he wasn't better or worse because of it. He was just another guy, who earned his rank of Commander and Captain, and I never really noticed, as he just acted like another guy, not some separate alien entity because he had a bit more melanin that me.
    And Dax was bi and and transexual. I'm pretty sure we didn't have to bring that up and congratulate ourselves on it all the time either.

    And I like STD better than STI. It makes sense, uses the right initials, and properly brings the correct connotation when read.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    arjuna wrote: »
    No I think you would get called a racist if you said I didn't like DS9 because the captain was black. Having reservations or dislikes about shows/characters/plot whatever is fine but when you say you don't like a show because it's too SJW that may be interpreted slightly differently then saying you don't like the Space Orcs or the spore drive.

    Sorry... that’s exactly what they say... see the backlash after Ghostbusters. Nope couldn’t be it was bad, you’re all misogynistic.

    The point was that pandering to that agenda creates problems of its own... and I said the other stufff about orcs first but, as always, the lightning rod comes back to SJW.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    arjuna wrote: »
    arjuna wrote: »
    No I think you would get called a racist if you said I didn't like DS9 because the captain was black. Having reservations or dislikes about shows/characters/plot whatever is fine but when you say you don't like a show because it's too SJW that may be interpreted slightly differently then saying you don't like the Space Orcs or the spore drive.

    Sorry... that’s exactly what they say... see the backlash after Ghostbusters. Nope couldn’t be it was bad, you’re all misogynistic.

    The point was that pandering to that agenda creates problems of its own... and I said the other stufff about orcs first but, as always, the lightning rod comes back to SJW.

    Who's pandering? They just included more diversity just like *most* star trek series before (not sure if ENT really did anything new on that front) and hopefully every star trek series after. Again if you are looking for the status quo then there are plenty of formulaic sitcoms out there.

    You win
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point several people here have made is good. Too many people blame bad motives on you if you don't like a show because of something they can interpret as negative.

    I dislike Voyager mostly because I dislike Janeway. At least half the time I say that, I am called a sexist. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. I just don't like the character. In fairness, I haven't seen past the first 2 seasons, so perhaps it get a better. Voyager is on my watch list and I try to get in an episode as often as I can. Also in fairness, Neelix is way worse than Janeway.
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The point several people here have made is good. Too many people blame bad motives on you if you don't like a show because of something they can interpret as negative.

    I dislike Voyager mostly because I dislike Janeway. At least half the time I say that, I am called a sexist. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. I just don't like the character. In fairness, I haven't seen past the first 2 seasons, so perhaps it get a better. Voyager is on my watch list and I try to get in an episode as often as I can. Also in fairness, Neelix is way worse than Janeway.

    Yup... and that’s my point... Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek... Tuvok has the right idea here...

  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    robownage wrote: »
    Neems wrote: »
    Opinions about Discovery's plot or production aside, saying it's bad on the grounds of politically correctness or "pandering to SJWs" kind of ignores the entire history of Star Trek continuously pushing for as much diversity and inclusiveness as it far as it could. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal now, but going all the way back to the start, Uhura's, Chekov's, and Number One's (however brief) presence were a huge deal, and the whole thing was considered pandering to the progressives by its detractors. I remember people being upset about Sisko being the captain while black, especially regarding the Benny episodes that dared to acknowledge racism as a thing that existed. Dax's kiss with her previous wife had the homophobes up in arms. Hell, people used to complain that it seemed too much like Garak and Bashir might have something going on.

    I have hope that 10-20 years from now no one will even think twice about the fact that there's a gay couple (or whatever else you feel is "SJW pandering") on a TV show, the same way none of us feel shocked seeing Uhura or Sisko.

    That's just it...Star Trek has always been about pushing those boundaries. If the term had existed back in the 60s, it would've been labelled as a SJW show from the start. When I see comments complaining about this aspect of DISCO, I can't help but wonder if the commentary even understands why ST exists. Roddenberry chose the setting of his show specifically in order to allow him to mask his social commentary. Beyond characters like Uhura/Sulu/Chekov, look at episodes like "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" and "A Private Little War." It might not be your favourite part of the show, but it's the reason you got to enjoy the show in the first place.

    I still hear grief about Janeway being a woman.

    Id add the Omega Glory in there. That one is a little more subtle on the racial aspect, through on the surface is more cold war commentary.

    That being said, the real or perceived diversity has no impact on my personal like or dislike, but I remember some of the flack before, and I feel a bit undercut by it as I think it helps paint those folks who don't like the STD as belonging to that crowd. I've already been called out more than once as a racist bastard cause I don't like the show on social media, which irritates me more.

    (Why folks want to post on my walls about STD when I've been very clear me no likey I find irritating and fascinating at the same time.)

    Honestly I think that's the bigger problem. If you complain about not liking Voyager or Janeway, you get called sexist (even if you're a woman apparently) and similarly if you don't like Discovery you get "but they had a gay couple, and said the f word, and the main character's a black woman" as if I'm supposed to like the show just because it's inclusive, which is annoying.

    DS9 wasn't good because Sisko was black, it was good because it was good. The fact that a great sci-fi show was led by a black captain is an important thing in and of itself, but that's not what actually made the show great.

    EDIT: For the record I don't like Discovery because it messes with the continuity way too much, the Klingon make-up is bad, and I find the whole spore drive thing silly. Also it doesn't have any Star Trek vibes to it, but I realise that's a personal taste thing.

    That paragraph needed to be emphasized, I think. Some day I sincerely hope we can get beyond not just "This show is great because so-and-so is black/gay/disabled" but also "this great show includes someone who is black/gay/disabled", and people can be comfortable just saying "This show is great", end of sentence.......


    Scott

    Preach it brother !!!

    Like the Golf Channel and the sports commentators who say Tiger Woods is a black golfer (his mother is Thai) but then call Jason Day (father white Australian, mother Philippino) an Australian golfer. What does race have to do with anything but they bring it up ad nauseum with Tiger Woods (who I happen to like despite his fall from grace personally and professionally).

    Jason Day is currently one of my favourite golfers because I love his story (dad was alcoholic and died while he was young, mom sold everything and borrowed money to pay for his school, he overcame his own bad attitude and crowd he hung out with, etc.) and his attitude and demeanor today is so “classy”. He’s also a great golfer; I watched him in person at the US Open collapse on the 18th green from vertigo but he got up and powered through to finish. But he’s not the “mixed race” golfer. He’s not the “philippino golfer”... he’s just the Australian golfer... who lives in Ohio now with his American wife and two kids. That’s the way it should be.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point several people here have made is good. Too many people blame bad motives on you if you don't like a show because of something they can interpret as negative.

    I dislike Voyager mostly because I dislike Janeway. At least half the time I say that, I am called a sexist. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. I just don't like the character. In fairness, I haven't seen past the first 2 seasons, so perhaps it get a better. Voyager is on my watch list and I try to get in an episode as often as I can. Also in fairness, Neelix is way worse than Janeway.

    Yup... and that’s my point... Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek... Tuvok has the right idea here...


    Which episode is that?!?!?
    Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The point several people here have made is good. Too many people blame bad motives on you if you don't like a show because of something they can interpret as negative.

    I dislike Voyager mostly because I dislike Janeway. At least half the time I say that, I am called a sexist. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. I just don't like the character. In fairness, I haven't seen past the first 2 seasons, so perhaps it get a better. Voyager is on my watch list and I try to get in an episode as often as I can. Also in fairness, Neelix is way worse than Janeway.

    Yup... and that’s my point... Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek... Tuvok has the right idea here...


    Which episode is that?!?!?

    It’s actually a video link but it doesn’t show up with the play button on my phone for some reason. Clicking it works though.

    I think it’s the episode where Tuvok loses emotional control because it’s Pon Far or something, I can look it up if you want. This scene is the intro I think and ends up just being a holodeck simulation Tuvok is running.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point several people here have made is good. Too many people blame bad motives on you if you don't like a show because of something they can interpret as negative.

    I dislike Voyager mostly because I dislike Janeway. At least half the time I say that, I am called a sexist. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. I just don't like the character. In fairness, I haven't seen past the first 2 seasons, so perhaps it get a better. Voyager is on my watch list and I try to get in an episode as often as I can. Also in fairness, Neelix is way worse than Janeway.

    Yup... and that’s my point... Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek... Tuvok has the right idea here...


    Which episode is that?!?!?

    It’s actually a video link but it doesn’t show up with the play button on my phone for some reason. Clicking it works though.

    I think it’s the episode where Tuvok loses emotional control because it’s Pon Far or something, I can look it up if you want. This scene is the intro I think and ends up just being a holodeck simulation Tuvok is running.

    I missed a lot of Voyager because of how episodes aired in my area. Looks like from the comments it was a definitely a Holo-Deck thing.

    Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point several people here have made is good. Too many people blame bad motives on you if you don't like a show because of something they can interpret as negative.

    I dislike Voyager mostly because I dislike Janeway. At least half the time I say that, I am called a sexist. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. I just don't like the character. In fairness, I haven't seen past the first 2 seasons, so perhaps it get a better. Voyager is on my watch list and I try to get in an episode as often as I can. Also in fairness, Neelix is way worse than Janeway.

    Yup... and that’s my point... Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek... Tuvok has the right idea here...


    Which episode is that?!?!?

    It’s actually a video link but it doesn’t show up with the play button on my phone for some reason. Clicking it works though.

    I think it’s the episode where Tuvok loses emotional control because it’s Pon Far or something, I can look it up if you want. This scene is the intro I think and ends up just being a holodeck simulation Tuvok is running.

    I missed a lot of Voyager because of how episodes aired in my area. Looks like from the comments it was a definitely a Holo-Deck thing.

    I missed all of DS9, VOY, ENT because... overseas in Europe and Asia studying then working for 20 years... I binge watched the DVDs when I got some time following semi-retirement.

    You can find all that stuff online everywhere through streaming services and even “free” streaming from some questionable overseas sites... I liked DS9 for the most part. VOY was OK but, like the guy said above... not a big Janeway fan (I like her character “red” in Orange is the New Black more)... ENT was the weakest for sure but I still watched it... I just powered through the blu-ray remastered TOS and TNG (they did a great job with the HD, sound and enhanced CGI). TOS feels dated but some of the episodes are still classics and great. TNG starts out sooooooo bad and gets progressively better although casting changes in season 2 were disruptive. Seeing them back to back - did you know Pulaski was in two episodes of TOS (but in different roles)?
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point several people here have made is good. Too many people blame bad motives on you if you don't like a show because of something they can interpret as negative.

    I dislike Voyager mostly because I dislike Janeway. At least half the time I say that, I am called a sexist. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. I just don't like the character. In fairness, I haven't seen past the first 2 seasons, so perhaps it get a better. Voyager is on my watch list and I try to get in an episode as often as I can. Also in fairness, Neelix is way worse than Janeway.

    Yup... and that’s my point... Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek... Tuvok has the right idea here...


    Which episode is that?!?!?

    It’s actually a video link but it doesn’t show up with the play button on my phone for some reason. Clicking it works though.

    I think it’s the episode where Tuvok loses emotional control because it’s Pon Far or something, I can look it up if you want. This scene is the intro I think and ends up just being a holodeck simulation Tuvok is running.

    I missed a lot of Voyager because of how episodes aired in my area. Looks like from the comments it was a definitely a Holo-Deck thing.

    I missed all of DS9, VOY, ENT because... overseas in Europe and Asia studying then working for 20 years... I binge watched the DVDs when I got some time following semi-retirement.

    You can find all that stuff online everywhere through streaming services and even “free” streaming from some questionable overseas sites... I liked DS9 for the most part. VOY was OK but, like the guy said above... not a big Janeway fan (I like her character “red” in Orange is the New Black more)... ENT was the weakest for sure but I still watched it... I just powered through the blu-ray remastered TOS and TNG (they did a great job with the HD, sound and enhanced CGI). TOS feels dated but some of the episodes are still classics and great. TNG starts out sooooooo bad and gets progressively better although casting changes in season 2 were disruptive. Seeing them back to back - did you know Pulaski was in two episodes of TOS (but in different roles)?

    Yep and I loved Diana Muldaur in her non Trek role on McCloud as well. Loved her work
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that was the Lon Suder episode where he does a mind meld with Suder to give him better emotional control, but loses his own control. He can't control his urges like Suder previously to the meld, and so he runs holodeck simulations where he gets to do the killing he wants.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I believe that was the Lon Suder episode where he does a mind meld with Suder to give him better emotional control, but loses his own control. He can't control his urges like Suder previously to the meld, and so he runs holodeck simulations where he gets to do the killing he wants.

    That sounds right. I just read one of the books from Non-Fiction, and it had summaries. I think it was that one. I'm looking now.


    EDIT TO ADD: "Meld", Episode #133. that is the one!!!!!!


    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708929/
    Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't the Title of Thread be updated to say "THIS Week's Event"?

    OCD and whatnot, Y'all.



    Scott


    Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
  • arjuna wrote: »
    I completely understand why some folks might not like STI. But not liking a Star Trek series for including diversity and pushing social boundaries is like not liking chicken for tasting like chicken. You should probably know what your getting into. It is a Star Trek series and has always been about pushing those boundaries .

    I am also confused by "STI" as series. Do you mean ST I, as in TOS (The Original Series)? (Since there was in fact a series named "Star Trek II" for TV in pre-production in the late 70's, then rewritten to become TMP.)

    Also, I can't stand the taste of chicken, because, yes, it tastes like chicken. Blah!
    "When the Future becomes the past, the present will become unlocked."
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    arjuna wrote: »
    I completely understand why some folks might not like STI. But not liking a Star Trek series for including diversity and pushing social boundaries is like not liking chicken for tasting like chicken. You should probably know what your getting into. It is a Star Trek series and has always been about pushing those boundaries .

    I am also confused by "STI" as series. Do you mean ST I, as in TOS (The Original Series)? (Since there was in fact a series named "Star Trek II" for TV in pre-production in the late 70's, then rewritten to become TMP.)

    Also, I can't stand the taste of chicken, because, yes, it tastes like chicken. Blah!

    Yes, not liking chicken because it tastes like chicken {and you do not like the taste} is NOTHING like hating a show or movie because it has a POC/LGBTQ/Disabled person in it.

    Apples and geodes........


    Scott

    Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    arjuna wrote: »
    I completely understand why some folks might not like STI. But not liking a Star Trek series for including diversity and pushing social boundaries is like not liking chicken for tasting like chicken. You should probably know what your getting into. It is a Star Trek series and has always been about pushing those boundaries .

    I am also confused by "STI" as series. Do you mean ST I, as in TOS (The Original Series)? (Since there was in fact a series named "Star Trek II" for TV in pre-production in the late 70's, then rewritten to become TMP.)

    Also, I can't stand the taste of chicken, because, yes, it tastes like chicken. Blah!

    Yes, not liking chicken because it tastes like chicken {and you do not like the taste} is NOTHING like hating a show or movie because it has a POC/LGBTQ/Disabled person in it.

    Apples and geodes........


    Scott

    But I think that chicken tastes like snake... and I’m kind of poor (because I had to pay for CBS All Access to watch STI) so I cannot afford snake anymore... so I had to substitute with cheaper chicken... oh no, it’s not free-range, organic hormone-free and cruelty free... it’s the cheap frozen stuff from Brazil because that’s all I can afford to feed my family... maybe DB will give me some compensation...

  • Most players are through the current set of rewards. Will there be a new series of rewards for phase 2 of Triple Threat ?
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most players are through the current set of rewards. Will there be a new series of rewards for phase 2 of Triple Threat ?

    I had that question my first evrnt, too. No, there are no more. The community ones go quickly. Then you can keep going for solo points.

    Good luck.
  • The put up the $9.99/1250 Chrons offer :)

    56mxiw8cg8wb.jpg
    Stolen from Kaitee: "Captain Klaa - My headcanon is he's Klingon Lego Batman, he cruises around in his Bird of Prey headbanging to heavy metal songs he wrote about himself."
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    The put up the $9.99/1250 Chrons offer :)

    56mxiw8cg8wb.jpg

    I took it, and ended my Boycott, since @Shan is assuring us that the Picard 6* Issue is going to be resolved for all of us.


    Scott

    Remember that time Scott vented on the Forums?!?!?
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most players are through the current set of rewards. Will there be a new series of rewards for phase 2 of Triple Threat ?

    I don't know what the word most means anymore. I have 43k VP at rank 18,250. Someone in my fleet is ranked below 53k. There is no way most players have cleared the thresholds.


    But rant aside, there are never new threshold rewards added during phase 2.
  • edited January 2018
    hecuz46ztjwy.png

    Is anyone else amused by the "Triple" Threat? I know it's a rerun and they needed to add a character, but this non sequitor made me wince then smile
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's bugger all down here on Earth.
    -Monty Python, The Meaning of Life
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    hecuz46ztjwy.png

    Is anyone else amused by the "Triple" Threat? I know it's a rerun and they needed to add a character, but this non sequitor made me wince then smile

    Maybe Voq is no threat to anyone.
Sign In or Register to comment.