Home The Bridge

3rd Party Contributor Removal

13»

Comments

  • "Oh my Dog!!! IAmPicard should not have been taken down because people use it!!! We should make sure no one can use anything else to "punish" DB!!!"

    HAHA i just realized your Ogre avatar is saying "BORGS!!!" instead of "NERDS!!!" Thumbs up old man. :smile:
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Oh my Dog!!! IAmPicard should not have been taken down because people use it!!! We should make sure no one can use anything else to "punish" DB!!!"

    Except it's not just about punishing DB - it seems to also be about punishing those who attacked iampicard to the point where he felt the need to take the site down so that he could get some peace.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm playing this game wrong....Why do I need spreadsheets, and wikis and everything else to play the game? I don't use any of that crap. I come on here and there is a sticky saying who the bonus crew are for the next event. I search for them in cryo, and unfreeze them. My phone has an alarm that I can set to any time of day. After the event I freeze them again. Rinse repeat. Why do I need other data sources?

    Maybe you don't. But maybe other people do. Why are you trying to make their life harder?
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    "Oh my Dog!!! IAmPicard should not have been taken down because people use it!!! We should make sure no one can use anything else to "punish" DB!!!"

    Except it's not just about punishing DB - it seems to also be about punishing those who attacked iampicard to the point where he felt the need to take the site down so that he could get some peace.

    However, no one has yet provided documentation confirming anything happened. And even less that it was done here, or by Forum members. Just saying.
    Keep calm & October 15th!!!!!
  • Thurthorad wrote: »
    Maybe I'm playing this game wrong....Why do I need spreadsheets, and wikis and everything else to play the game? I don't use any of that crap. I come on here and there is a sticky saying who the bonus crew are for the next event. I search for them in cryo, and unfreeze them. My phone has an alarm that I can set to any time of day. After the event I freeze them again. Rinse repeat. Why do I need other data sources?

    Maybe you don't. But maybe other people do. Why are you trying to make their life harder?

    I'M not trying to make their lives harder...I'm trying to understand why some people feel their lives are being made so unbearably difficult by the loss of this 3rd party tool.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm playing this game wrong....Why do I need spreadsheets, and wikis and everything else to play the game? I don't use any of that crap. I come on here and there is a sticky saying who the bonus crew are for the next event. I search for them in cryo, and unfreeze them. My phone has an alarm that I can set to any time of day. After the event I freeze them again. Rinse repeat. Why do I need other data sources?

    The Dilemmas Wiki is always a Tab, for me. Since there are multi-part Dilemmas.
    Keep calm & October 15th!!!!!
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Oh my Dog!!! IAmPicard should not have been taken down because people use it!!! We should make sure no one can use anything else to "punish" DB!!!"

    HAHA i just realized your Ogre avatar is saying "BORGS!!!" instead of "NERDS!!!" Thumbs up old man. :smile:

    I made it the other day, when we first saw the Borg Faction was coming. Ogre was already in my Downloads whee I made one that said "NERDS!!!"
    Keep calm & October 15th!!!!!
  • regardless, the tool is down and people are showing their support for it's creator. i don't understand the motivation for speaking out against a tool that one can use any time they want, but choose not to. that's your choice, not mine. so i speak in support of the tool. those who want to use it can, those who don't, don't have to.
  • dogfeet wrote: »
    you don't "need" it, it's a choice. when you build ikea furniture do you read the instructions first or not? it's a source of information that you probably don't really need to build the furniture. when i get a behold, i choose to look up the options in the wiki to see which is best. if you choose not to do so, that's fine, you're free to do what you want. don't crap on others for choosing to use 3rd party resources if it helps them to enjoy the game more fully.

    Unfair comparison. When I get a piece of furniture from IKEA i use the instructions THAT CAME IN THE BOX. I don't need to go on the internet and watch a youtube video of IKEA furniture getting assembled. Or go to a website to find it's dimensions when they are already on the box. That is a more equal comparison IMO.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair to both sides, discussions on these forums can have thousands of messages and views in days. It might take the limited staff DB has assigned to this issue months just to review and analyze the data in the last two days because of other responsibilities. Don't expect DB, or any corporation for that matter, to make a fast decision on what could be a legal issue.

    However, it is their right, if they think any software has violated their proprietary rights, to review it in their own time and make a decision in the best interests of the company. They can remove any link or sticky on their forums at anytime and explain why much later, when they are ready. Players can complain, but they have no rights in any of these issues. Even every log in ID and account belongs to DB so they can do whatever they want. If players don't like it, they can voice their concerns in the forums and with their wallets.

    I don't use the IAP app but I understand the need for information in a stats based game. However, the IAP app was able to access and play parts of STT outside of the official app by DB. They probably don't like this. Would you like it if you made a program and someone else found a way to circumvent your program to play it without compensating you for it? Probably not. Hopefully, DB can find a way to improve their app to remove some of the time sink issues that IAP helped some users with but don't expect a quick solution or response to this issue given the complexity of the problem at hand.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Maybe I'm playing this game wrong....Why do I need spreadsheets, and wikis and everything else to play the game? I don't use any of that crap. I come on here and there is a sticky saying who the bonus crew are for the next event. I search for them in cryo, and unfreeze them. My phone has an alarm that I can set to any time of day. After the event I freeze them again. Rinse repeat. Why do I need other data sources?

    Maybe you don't. But maybe other people do. Why are you trying to make their life harder?

    I'M not trying to make their lives harder...I'm trying to understand why some people feel their lives are being made so unbearably difficult by the loss of this 3rd party tool.

    Why does the difficulty have to be unbearable for them to express an opinion? It seems valid to me that introducing inconvenience into someone's life, even yours, would elicit a negative response, hopefully nothing more harmful than a respectful message on a public forum.

    I lost count of how many people said they rage-.quitting because IAP is no longer available for use. Sounds like those people find it more than an inconvenience.
    Keep calm & October 15th!!!!!
  • Moose1 wrote: »
    However, no one has yet provided documentation confirming anything happened. And even less that it was done here, or by Forum members. Just saying.

    Your like a broken record. Are you calling someone a liar because they are not Kowtowing to your demand for evidence?

    LOL! How dare you ask for evidence to back up a claim! Rabble rabble!!!
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moose1 wrote: »
    However, no one has yet provided documentation confirming anything happened. And even less that it was done here, or by Forum members. Just saying.

    Your like a broken record. Are you calling someone a liar because they are not Kowtowing to your demand for evidence?

    No. You are confusing me with the person who libeled me yesterday. You wanna jump on the bandwagon with the people who are attacking people they disagree with, that is fine. But, fortunately we live in a country where it takes a little more proof before a needle goes in someone's arm while they are strapped to a cold steel table.


    Everyone enjoy your argument. I have much better things to do with my life.
    Keep calm & October 15th!!!!!
  • dogfeet wrote: »
    Unfair comparison. When I get a piece of furniture from IKEA i use the instructions THAT CAME IN THE BOX. I don't need to go on the internet and watch a youtube video of IKEA furniture getting assembled. Or go to a website to find it's dimensions when they are already on the box. That is a more equal comparison IMO.

    that's fine. so the youtube video of the furniture is deleted and people are upset because the instructions in the box were unclear and difficult to read. the video made it a lot easier to assemble the furniture. now, if you don't like youtube and can build it without the video, do so. but don't be upset at the people who wish the video was still up because they felt it made for a more pleasant experience. my point is, if you didn't use it, then it didn't affect you. why do you care?

    Bro, this is exactly my point...i'm not upset. Other people are losing their minds over this silliness.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair to both sides, discussions on these forums can have thousands of messages and views in days. It might take the limited staff DB has assigned to this issue months just to review and analyze the data in the last two days because of other responsibilities. Don't expect DB, or any corporation for that matter, to make a fast decision on what could be a legal issue.

    However, it is their right, if they think any software has violated their proprietary rights, to review it in their own time and make a decision in the best interests of the company. They can remove any link or sticky on their forums at anytime and explain why much later, when they are ready. Players can complain, but they have no rights in any of these issues. Even every log in ID and account belongs to DB so they can do whatever they want. If players don't like it, they can voice their concerns in the forums and with their wallets.

    I don't use the IAP app but I understand the need for information in a stats based game. However, the IAP app was able to access and play parts of STT outside of the official app by DB. They probably don't like this. Would you like it if you made a program and someone else found a way to circumvent your program to play it without compensating you for it? Probably not. Hopefully, DB can find a way to improve their app to remove some of the time sink issues that IAP helped some users with but don't expect a quick solution or response to this issue given the complexity of the problem at hand.

    I appreciate you, @Average Guy
  • By the way OP, I love your spreadsheet and while I appreciate your stance in supporting another 3rd party contributor, I am not sure why you are removing your own tool when one of the reasons he stated for bringing down his tool was he was being doxxed. I don't think if DB suddently approved his entire tool, that the doxxing would suddenly go away.

    That being said, the tool seemed to drop from support very rapidly once he started requesting money to help with server hosting costs. I can understand there are costs with that and loved the convenience, but there are very obvious potential legal ramifications when a 3rd party starts collecting money related to DB's IP. As soon as I saw him requesting money, I suspected this would happen.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    "Oh my Dog!!! IAmPicard should not have been taken down because people use it!!! We should make sure no one can use anything else to "punish" DB!!!"

    Except it's not just about punishing DB - it seems to also be about punishing those who attacked iampicard to the point where he felt the need to take the site down so that he could get some peace.

    So punish the thousands for the acts of a handful? Yeah, and this is exactly why you don't do stuff like this. If you like the game, keep supporting it as a community. If you don't quit. All this does is drive people away and make it more likely the game goes away. no one wins when you're having a temper tantrum.

    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    robownage wrote: »
    "Oh my Dog!!! IAmPicard should not have been taken down because people use it!!! We should make sure no one can use anything else to "punish" DB!!!"

    Except it's not just about punishing DB - it seems to also be about punishing those who attacked iampicard to the point where he felt the need to take the site down so that he could get some peace.

    So punish the thousands for the acts of a handful? Yeah, and this is exactly why you don't do stuff like this. If you like the game, keep supporting it as a community. If you don't quit. All this does is drive people away and make it more likely the game goes away. no one wins when you're having a temper tantrum.

    The more people it drives away the better. Unfortunately there is no way to know how many people and how much DB is losing in revenue. If it gets to the point where it is likely the game goes away then maybe they will sell it to an entity that understands the playing community better.
  • All right, time to close this thread.
  • /SSR/ Pasty/SSR/ Pasty ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    robownage wrote: »
    "Oh my Dog!!! IAmPicard should not have been taken down because people use it!!! We should make sure no one can use anything else to "punish" DB!!!"

    Except it's not just about punishing DB - it seems to also be about punishing those who attacked iampicard to the point where he felt the need to take the site down so that he could get some peace.

    So punish the thousands for the acts of a handful? Yeah, and this is exactly why you don't do stuff like this. If you like the game, keep supporting it as a community. If you don't quit. All this does is drive people away and make it more likely the game goes away. no one wins when you're having a temper tantrum.

    Or it could highlight just how important tools like IAP/crew spreadsheet/wiki are to the continued success of the game and should be treated with respect by DB?

    I wish the wiki would be taken offline in support of this cause, but that might be difficult as there’s probably a bigger committee running it.
This discussion has been closed.